Can configuration space be observer independent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of spacetime in an observer/coordinate independent way, where particles are represented as worldlines in a 4d space. The worldline can be described as a function in R^3 relative to each observer. However, there is a lack of references on formulating configuration space in a coordinate independent manner. The question is raised on whether there is a concept of an observer independent configuration space, using the example of a pendulum's configuration space being ##S^1##. The conversation also mentions the definition of a Lagrangian system, which includes a smooth manifold called the configuration space and a smooth function. The question is further clarified with the idea of deriving the configuration space structure from the observer-independent
lriuui0x0
We can formulate the spacetime in an observer/coordinate independent way, i.e. a particle becomes a worldline in the 4d space. Then relative to each observer, the worldline can be casted to a function in R^3. However, I haven't found any reference on formulating configuration space in a coordinate independent way. It seems that the configuration space is formed in a way with a particular observer and some particular coordinates for the state of the system. Just want to ask if there's such a concept as observer independent configuration space?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t understand. Why would configuration space be observer dependent?

An example could clarify the question I guess.
Say, the configuration space of the pendulum is ##S^1##. Which observer does see anything else?

Dale said:
I don’t understand. Why would configuration space be observer dependent?
I just don't usually see coordinate independent formulation of the configuration space.

By definition a Lagrangian system is a pair (L,M), where M is a smooth manifold called the configuration space and ##L: TM\to \mathbb{R}## is a smooth function
ok?

Likes vanhees71
wrobel said:
By definition a Lagrangian system is a pair (L,M), where M is a smooth manifold called the configuration space and ##L: TM\to \mathbb{R}## is a smooth function
ok?
Sorry, the question may sound a bit weird. I will try to give a more detailed explanation on what structure I have in mind before rasing the question.

So first, we have a 4d spacetime, there are n worldlines in the spacetime representing n particles forming a system with certain interation. There might be constraints at each spatial slice, such as the distance between two particles maintain the same.

These definitions are observer independent that fully describe the system, so if the configuration space is also observer independent, we should be able to derive the configuration space structure purely from the above. My question is how to craft such a definition?

1. What is configuration space?

Configuration space is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the possible positions and orientations of a system. It is a multi-dimensional space where each dimension represents a degree of freedom of the system.

2. Can configuration space be observer independent?

Yes, configuration space is a mathematical concept and is independent of any observer. It is a representation of the possible states of a system and does not depend on who is observing it.

3. How is configuration space related to the observer?

Configuration space is not directly related to the observer. It is a mathematical representation of the possible states of a system and can be used by any observer to analyze and understand the system.

4. Is configuration space the same for all systems?

No, configuration space is specific to each system and depends on the number of degrees of freedom of that system. For example, the configuration space of a pendulum will be different from that of a double pendulum.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of configuration space?

Configuration space is a powerful tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists and engineers to model and simulate complex systems, and make predictions about their behavior under different conditions.