Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can expectation value of observables be imaginary?

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    I am quite new to Quantum Mechanics and I am studying it from the book by Griffiths, as kind of a self-study..no instructor and all....

For a gaussian wavefunction [tex]\Psi[/tex]=Aexp(-x[tex]^{2}[/tex]), I calculated
    <p[tex]^{2}[/tex]> and found it to be equal to ah[tex]^{2}[/tex]/(1-2aiht/m)

(By h I mean h-bar..not so good at latex yet)

Can it be correct? How can expectation value of p[tex]^{2}[/tex] be imaginary?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not what I got. How did you go about calculating it?
  4. May 18, 2008 #3
    What did you get? <p^2>= ah ?
    we know psi(x,0) = Aexp(-x^2)
    so i first calulated phi(k) integrating (1/[(2*pi)^(1/2)]) psi(x,0)*exp(-ikx) dx from -inf to inf
    then got psi(x,t) (1/[(2*pi)^(1/2)]) phi(k)*exp(i(kx-((h^2)*(k^2)*t)/2m) dk from -inf to inf

till that part im correct, since the answer is given in the book and I verified.

For the next part, I got <x>=<p>=0 and <x^2>=1/(4*w^2) where w=[a/(1+4a2h2t2/m2)] (the 2's are squares)
    It's fine till then

Then got <p^2> by doing (-h^2)* integral psi(x,t)* (d^2/dx^2) psi(x,t) dx
    the problem is that i get imaginary constant (1-2aiht/m) each time i differentiate psi(x,t)
    and this doesn't get cancelled out later.
  5. May 18, 2008 #4
  6. May 18, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but you take the derivative twice, then you should not have any imaginary part left.
  7. May 18, 2008 #6
    (My previous post was a mistake ignore it..)

Here's how I did it..
    Now we find [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] as
    where A=[tex](\stackrel{2a}{\overline{\pi}})^{\stackrel{1}{\overline{4}}}[/tex]
    (A should be in the numerator)

So [tex]\psi(x,t)*=A\stackrel{e^{\stackrel{-ax^{2}}{\overline{1-\stackrel{2aiht}{\overline{m}}}}}}{\overline{\sqrt{1-\stackrel{2aiht}{\overline{m}}}}}
    where C is an imaginary factor which gives real factor when combined with the similar factor from [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex]

But the imaginary exponential factor comes out in the form of [tex](1+\stackrel{2aiht}{\overline{m}})^{2}[/tex] when we compute <p[tex]^{2}[/tex]> and doesn't get cancelled by some other real factor. Or am I making some calculation mistake?
  8. May 18, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cant follow what you are doing, it is just a mess..

you want to do <p^2> when you have the wave function in position representation. Then you do:

[tex] <p^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x)^* (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\psi (x) dx [/tex]

since [tex]\hat{p} = -i\hbar\frac{d}{dx} [/tex] in position representation.

Where [tex] \psi (x) = \Psi (x,t=0) = A\exp(-x) [/tex]

That is all you have to do man.

You can take the wave function in momentum representation:

[tex] \phi (k) = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x) \exp{-ikx} dx [/tex]

Then the expectation value of p^2 is:

[tex] <p^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi(p)^* \hat{p} ^2\phi (p) dp [/tex]

where [tex]\hat{p} [/tex] is the momentum operator in MOMENTUM representation (i.e [tex] \hat{p} = p [/tex]), compare with the position operator in position representation: [tex] \hat{x} = x [/tex].

compare also with:
    [tex] <x^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi(x)^* \hat{x}^2\psi (x) dx [/tex]

It seems to me that you have mixed the two representations, you can't do that.
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  9. May 18, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

and if you want to include time dependence, you apply the time evolution operator, and your position wave function as a function of time, becomes:

[tex] \Psi (x,t) = A\exp(-x)\exp{(-iEt/\hbar)} [/tex]

Then the expectation value becomes:
    [tex] <p^2>(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi (x,t)^* (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\Psi (x,t) dx =<p^2>\exp{(Et/\hbar)}[/tex]
  10. May 18, 2008 #9
    yeah thats what I have done..just that [tex]\psi(x,t)[/tex] is quite clumsy..
    So, whats is the answer u got?

In the book its given as [tex]<p^{2}>=ah[/tex] but I can't find the mistake I'm making so I'm assuming that the author has calculated it for t=0.
  11. May 18, 2008 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

is [tex] A = \frac{2a}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi}}} [/tex] ?

Can you tell me what
    [tex] (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\psi (x) = (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2A\exp(-x^2) [/tex]

is? (I know, but do you?)
  12. May 18, 2008 #11
    No, I got A as [tex]
    A = \frac{\sqrt{\sqrt{2a}}}{\sqrt{\sqrt{\pi}}}

I'll do [tex]-\hbar^{2}\frac{d^{2}}{dx^{2}}(Aexp(-kx^{2})[/tex]
    This would be [tex]
    -A\hbar^{2}(-2k)\frac{d}{dx}(xexp(-kx^2)) = 2kA\hbar^{2}(-2kx^{2}exp(-kx^{2})+exp(-kx^{2}

But I guess my problem occurs only when we consider time dependance, in which case k has an imaginary part as well.(In fact I got k as [tex]\frac{a}{1+\frac{2aiht}{m}}[/tex])
  13. May 18, 2008 #12

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't follow.
    You said:
    Where does the k come from?
  14. May 18, 2008 #13
    The value of psi(x,t) I obtained, which is correct, as per the book, is
    \Psi(x,t)=A\frac{e^{\frac{-ax^{2}}{1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}

So basically [tex]k = \frac{a(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}{1+\frac{4a^{2}\hbar^{2}t^{2}}{m}}=w^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})[/tex]

\Psi(x,t)=A\frac{e^{-w^{2}x^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}
    \Psi(x,t)*=A\frac{e^{-w^{2}x^{2}(1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}
  15. May 18, 2008 #14
    So [tex]\Psi(x,t)*\hat{p}^{2}\Psi(x,t) = A\frac{e^{-w^{2}x^{2}(1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}
    (2\hbar^{2}A\frac{e^{-w^{2}x^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}}w^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})
    (1-2w^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})
    x^{2})) [/tex]
    [tex]=2\hbar^{2}A^{2}w^{4}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})
    (1-2w^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})

Now, if I denote [tex](1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}) [/tex] by z ,
    [tex]\Psi(x,t)*\hat{p}^{2}\Psi(x,t) = \frac{2\hbar^{2}A^{2}w^{4}}{\sqrt{a}}z

Now integration doesn't remove its dependence on z, which is imaginary. In which step am I making a mistake? I am not able to spot it...its very difficult to spot silly mistakes in such cluttered maths..
    And what is the value I should get? or what is the value you guys got?
  16. May 18, 2008 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have wrong wave function...you are mixing the two representations!

[tex] \Psi (x,t) = A\exp(-x^2)\exp{(-iEt/\hbar)} [/tex] This is not what are calculating with, you use: [tex] \Psi(x,t)=A\frac{e^{-w^{2}x^{2}(1-\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m})}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{2ai\hbar t}{m}}} [/tex]

Can you explain why you use that?

[tex] <p^2>(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi (x,t)^* (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\Psi (x,t) dx = <p^2>exp{(Et/\hbar)}[/tex]

Then why did you do:

Your wave function was: Aexp(-x^2), that was why I asked you to do:

[tex] (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\psi (x) = (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2A\exp(-x^2) [/tex]
  17. May 18, 2008 #16
    I use that because that is the wavefunction I have. [tex]
    \Psi (x,t) = A\exp(-x^2)\exp{(-iEt/\hbar)}
    is not the wavefunction. This part has been verified by the book as well. I have to use the superposition of states with all energies. How can I use only a single energy E?
  18. May 18, 2008 #17
    The question states that:
    "A free particle has the initial wave function
    [tex]\Psi(x,0)=Ae^{-ax^{2}}[/tex] "

So this is the INITIAL wavefunction.
    To find [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] we need to integrate it over all energies right?

\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(k)e^{i(kx-\frac{\hbar k^{2}}{2m}t)}

Isn't this how we should represent [tex]\Psi(x,t) [/tex]?
  19. May 18, 2008 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

does the energy depend on x?

Time evolution of a state is:

[tex] \Psi (x,t) = \Psi (x, t=0) e^{-iEt/\hbar} [/tex]

isn't [tex] E = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} [/tex] In your case?

And since the energy don't depend on x:
    [tex] <p^2>(t) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi (x,t)^* (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\Psi (x,t) dx \exp{(Et/\hbar)}[/tex]

[tex] <p^2> = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi (x)^* (-i\hbar\frac{d}{dx})^2\psi (x) dx [/tex]

[tex] \psi (x) = \Psi (x,t=0) = A\exp(-x^2) [/tex]
  20. May 18, 2008 #19
    This is what I did not get... Dont you have to take superpostition over all states/ all energies?
    Because in the case of free particle, the value of [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] you get from solving the time-independent SE is not normalizable. So in this case should not we use [tex]

\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\phi(k)e^{i(kx-\frac{\hbar k^{2}}{2m}t)}

[/tex] and then apply <p^2> on that [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] we obtain?
  21. May 18, 2008 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The time evolution of a state is obtained by applying the time evolution operator, always. It is a fundemantal cornerstone in non relativistic quantum mechanics.

The energy is [tex] E = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} [/tex] right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?