Can graphene be usefull as armor against HEAT rounds?

In summary: But this doesn't happen in the real world--the graphene sheets just sort of randomly stick to each other.
FTM1000
From what I understood from articles like this(https://scitechdaily.com/microbullets-demonstrate-graphenes-energy-absorbing-strength/)
graphene is really good at distributing the energy from impacts over larger area and can even turn into diamond-hard material called diamene upon impact when there are two sheets of graphene. And from what I understood about HEAT rounds, the shaped charge focus the energy of the explosives into a small area in order to penetrate the armor.
So graphene can be used to distribute the energy of the metal jet coming out of the HEAT round over a larger area and make it much harder for the metal jet to penetrate the armor?.
Modern tanks with composite armor still have a problem to stop the shaped charge of anti tank missiles like the 9M133 Kornet so I wonder if graphene can be a significant contribution for tank armor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
FTM1000 said:
so I wonder if graphene can be a significant contribution for tank armor.
You can bet your bippy that that has been explored by tank manufacturers.

Likes anorlunda
Graphene is one atom thick. It’s a very strong atom, but it’s an atom nonetheless.

Likes russ_watters
TeethWhitener said:
Graphene is one atom thick. It’s a very strong atom, but it’s an atom nonetheless.
Well, one assumes there would be multiple layers

We have that. It’s called graphite. It doesn’t make very good armor.

TeethWhitener said:
No, I meant multiple layers of different materials, as is common in bullet proof vests. As I recall they can have many multiples of alternating layers of just a few materials.

phinds said:
As I recall they can have many multiples of alternating layers of just a few materials.
Who is they and what does "many multiples of alternating layers of just a few materials" mean?

I work in 2D materials. And I work in defense. And yet somehow I still find myself having this same argument multiple times a year. There are a lot of great ideas for armor. Most of them don't involve 2D materials (except for polymer composites, but hey, anyone can put any random crap into a golf club and sell it for 3X the price).

TeethWhitener said:
But graphite is made up of very small graphene sheets with weak interaction between each other while in my question I assumed that the graphene sheets are much larger, at least 5 x 50 square centimeters like in this article: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-large-single-crystal-graphene.html
How many large graphene sheets like this you can stack together?, will they react with each other?. You can still separate them with thin layers of some other material, may be even another 2-dimensional material.

FTM1000 said:
But graphite is made up of very small graphene sheets with weak interaction between each other while in my question I assumed that the graphene sheets are much larger, at least 5 x 50 square centimeters like in this article: https://phys.org/news/2017-07-large-single-crystal-graphene.html
I've been putting off answering you because I'm honestly just tired of having the same argument over and over. But that's not your fault and you have a few valid scientific questions in there. For the feasibility of graphene armor, suffice it to say that it just won't work. As I said, you can use carbon nanomaterials to reinforce polymers in a composite (basically just mixing graphite and plastic together in a giant melt), and your polymer will be somewhat stronger as a result--maybe 50% higher tensile strength if you do it right. Not bad, but not revolutionary.

But let's go ahead and answer your scientific questions.

FTM1000 said:
How many large graphene sheets like this you can stack together?
You can stack as many graphene sheets together as you like. It's just a matter of how much time and money you have (it gets very time consuming and very expensive very quickly). The most I usually see in the literature is ~10 layers, and at that point graphene basically behaves like bulk graphite. In general, each layer needs to be polymer supported and the copper growth substrate needs to be etched away in order to stack the layers. This process takes a day or so from start to finish. Quicker methods have been reported, but they have drawbacks. The paper you linked in the OP (here's the original Science article: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/346/6213/1092) uses HOPG with thicknesses on the order of 300 nm (meaning the microbullet experiments were done using the same "very samll graphene sheets with weak interaction" that you mention above--they don't stack individual graphene sheets either).

FTM1000 said:
will they react with each other?
Not unless a significant force is applied, and not really even then. At very low layer number (less than 4 or so layers), there are indications that graphene sheets can undergo interlayer bonding with one another under the right chemical conditions: see, e.g., https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/nl403938g,
https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.02131,
https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1907/1907.09033.pdf,
Under high pressure, similar interlayer bonding has been observed (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41565-017-0023-9?proof=trueMay.). Note that this effect only exists in very thin few-layer graphene material, and probably only at specific twist angles of graphene. For the pressure experiments, the "diamond" phase doesn't even seem to be metastable: as soon as the pressure is released, the diamond reconverts to few-layer graphene. Of course, graphite undergoes a well-known phase change to diamond at high pressures, but this is static isotropic pressure, not the kind of conditions you'd find in something like a bullet impact. Otherwise, you could just take a machine gun to a pile of graphite and pull out diamonds.

FTM1000 said:
You can still separate them with thin layers of some other material, may be even another 2-dimensional material.
Yes! and this is a booming and fascinating area of research right now (google "2D heterostructures" for more info). But it's still not going to lead to new armor anytime soon beyond the polymer composites already mentioned.

Here's why 2D materials are infeasible for armor: Let's say you're sitting in a tank and some jerk launches one of those nasty anti-tank rounds at you. What's the minimum thickness material you want between your head and an exploding anti-tank round? Keep in mind that current tank armor is several centimeters of steel/ceramic/polymer composite, and according to the Science article above, the graphene material is only about 10 times stronger than that under the best of conditions. Let's say you like to live dangerously, and you're comfortable being a hair's-breadth away from death. A hair's breadth is about 50 microns (already 200 times thinner than tank armor), so you want to make a 50 micron sheet of multilayer graphene (still at least 20 times too thin to protect you). How many graphene layers are there in a 50 micron sheet? At 0.35nm per layer, we get about 150,000 graphene layers. Assuming we could whittle the prep time for each layer, including growth and transfer, down to 1 minute (remember, it's about a day right now), we still get about 2 months prep time for the entire stack. This doesn't factor in the massive cost of copper that you're basically using and throwing away (again, it's possible to reuse, but things get tricky). It's just not going to happen any time soon.

• Informative
Likes Matcon and berkeman
  • Informative
Likes phinds

1. Can graphene be used as armor against HEAT rounds?

Yes, graphene has been shown to have high strength and stiffness, making it a potential candidate for armor against HEAT rounds.

2. How does graphene protect against HEAT rounds?

Graphene has a high thermal conductivity, which allows it to dissipate heat quickly. This can help prevent the intense heat generated by HEAT rounds from penetrating the armor.

3. Is graphene armor more effective than traditional armor against HEAT rounds?

There is still ongoing research and development in this area, but initial studies have shown that graphene armor may be more effective in protecting against HEAT rounds due to its high strength and thermal conductivity.

4. Can graphene armor be used for both personal and vehicle protection against HEAT rounds?

Yes, graphene armor has the potential to be used for both personal and vehicle protection against HEAT rounds. However, more research and testing is needed to fully understand its capabilities and limitations in different scenarios.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using graphene armor against HEAT rounds?

One potential drawback is the high cost of producing graphene in large quantities. Additionally, more research is needed to understand the long-term durability and effectiveness of graphene armor in real-world situations.