Is Electric armour feasible with current technology?

In summary: Not specifically, but my guess is improved batteries and improved battery charging circuits.The same power sources considered for rail guns have also been considered for this idea. In both cases, in my own experience, the idea was to have very high power generators that are shorted to produce the required currents by extracting energy from the rotating mass.
FTM1000
I read about electric armor (also known as dynamic armor or electric reactive armor) that can protect armored vehicles from shaped charges of anti-tank weapons and I want to know if its feasible today.
according to wikipedia:
[Moderator: please don't do this without a link. The link is The link is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Armor]
"Electrically charged armour is a recent development in the United Kingdom by the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory. A vehicle is fitted with two thin shells, separated by insulating material. The outer shell holds an enormous electric charge, while the inner shell is at ground. If an incoming HEAT jet needle of a conductive metal, like copper, penetrates both shells, it forms a bridge between them, and the electrical energy discharges rapidly through the jet, disrupting it. Trials have so far been promising, and it is hoped that improved systems could protect against kinetic energy penetrators"

what are the challenges in making something like this and putting it on something like a tank?. the electric armor can(in theory at least) work more than once at one spot or it get useless after the first penetration?. the wiki article mentioned successful tirals but I didn't managed to find much information about electric armor other than this article(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229034493_Insights_from_numerical_modeling_of_electric_armor_using_hydrocode_and_electromagnetic_software) from 15 years ago but is to technical for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did you read the references from the Wikipedia article? One of them says.

https://www.economist.com/technology-quarterly/2011/06/02/the-armour-strikes-back said:
Antoine Vincent, in charge of electric armour for the European Defence Agency (EDA), says it has tested well against RPGs. A study by BMT Defence Services, a British firm, notes that electric armour, being lightweight, makes it easier to airlift vehicles. Even so, neither BMT nor the EDA think the technology will be deployed soon. It has proven difficult to rearm the metal plates from batteries fast enough to zap the second charge of a tandem warhead. Some of the power-management technologies being developed for electric vehicles may help on that front. But, says Mr Vincent, electric armour still does not deliver enough electricity to fry the metal in many kinetic-energy projectiles, which destroy armour with their impact. An RPG warhead may eject a copper spike weighing several hundred grams. Kinetic-energy projectiles can weigh several kilograms.

anorlunda said:
Did you read the references from the Wikipedia article? One of them says.
the website asks you to register/subscribe and pay for watching some of its content like that article so I didn't read it.
so it can work for multiple hits on the same spot as long as it can "charge" the metal plates fast enough?. what kind of technology developed for electric vehicles can help here?.

FTM1000 said:
the website asks you to register/subscribe and pay for watching some of its content like that article so I didn't read it.
Not the website I linked.

FTM1000 said:
so it can work for multiple hits on the same spot
Re-read. It can only stop lightweight warheads such as RPG. It won't stop more massive ones such a round fired by another tank.

anorlunda said:
Not the website I linked.Re-read. It can only stop lightweight warheads such as RPG. It won't stop more massive ones such a round fired by another tank.
I am talking about HEAT warheads and not kinetic penetrators used by tanks.
I am using your link and got only part of the article with "register to read this article in full" at the end. did you registered in that site?.

FTM1000 said:
I am using your link and got only part of the article with "register to read this article in full" at the end. did you registered in that site?.

I did not read it in full. I got the quote from the fraction that was open.

anorlunda said:
I did not read it in full. I got the quote from the fraction that was open.
https://snag.gy/YxrP0z.jpg
this is all what I see and I used copy past with the link you provided... maybe you registered to this site once and forgot about it?.

can you tell me what type of "power-management technologies being developed for electric vehicles" the article talked about?.

FTM1000 said:
can you tell me what type of "power-management technologies being developed for electric vehicles" the article talked about?.

Not specifically, but my guess is improved batteries and improved battery charging circuits.

The same power sources considered for rail guns have also been considered for this idea. In both cases, in my own experience, the idea was to have very how power generator spinning at high speed that is shorted to produce the required currents by extracting energy from the rotating mass.

1. Can electric armour be used as a form of protection?

Yes, electric armour has the potential to be used as a form of protection. It can provide a layer of electric shock to deter attackers and can also be designed to withstand physical impacts.

2. How does electric armour work?

Electric armour works by using conductive materials to create an electric current that can shock anyone who comes into contact with it. The level of shock can be adjusted based on the voltage and current used.

3. Is electric armour safe for the wearer?

The safety of electric armour depends on the design and materials used. If proper precautions are taken and the armour is well-insulated, it can be safe for the wearer. However, there is always a risk of electric shock, so caution should be taken when wearing it.

4. Are there any limitations to electric armour?

Yes, there are limitations to electric armour with current technology. It can be heavy and bulky, making it difficult to wear for extended periods. It also requires a power source, which can be a challenge to maintain in certain situations.

5. Can electric armour be used in military or law enforcement settings?

Yes, electric armour has the potential to be used in military or law enforcement settings. It can provide an additional layer of protection for personnel and can also be used as a non-lethal form of defense against attackers.