Can gravity carry information out of a black hole?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 6K views
Hurkyl said:
Did you miss the part about "start a new thread"? Hijacking the threads of others is not an appropriate way to have your discussion.

Sorry, I did not intend my response to start a discussion, but only to mention an alternative point of view, and then when JustinLevy responded to it I felt I should answer that too, but discourage further questions in this thread.

I've started a new thread on the subject of the radial coordinate assumption at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=272909.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
feynomite said:
So then let's say the black hole is 1000 solar masses, and there's a 100 solar mass star which collides with it head on. The 100 solar mass star will leave a "dent" right at point of the event horizon that it entered at? It's possible to deduce from what direction the star entered the black hole, because it's well will remain right there? I think this is false. How then does the "dent" go inside the black hole?

In most cases, a star colliding a black hole will be disrupted and form an accretion disk. In a direct merger, the infalling body creates a perturbation of the black hole gravitational field, setting up vibrational modes and emission and absorption of gravitational and electromagnetic waves until all deviations from spherical topology have been radiated (see Price's theorem). The final black hole is again surrounded by static fields whose imprints define only its mass, angular momentum and charge.
 
Thank you all for answering my question. I will test out these things in a few years after my matter-antimatter space rocket is complete and I embark to the nearest gigantic black hole.