Can I Become an Optician/Optometrist Without Extensive Knowledge on Lasers and Optics?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter wolly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
wolly
Messages
49
Reaction score
2
I didn't studied a lot about lasers and devices for optics other than lenses in high school.Do I stand a chance here?I mean the math isn't hard but I'm not sure if it is a competitive field.Is it worth it?I don't do it for the money and I will do this for experience.
I hope you can share your opinions about this career.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
wolly said:
I mean the math isn't hard
I thought you said you didn't like algebra and geometry?
 
berkeman said:
I thought you said you didn't like algebra and geometry?
Math is not a problem.I know to solve most of it but not all.
 
Is this the wrong place to talk about this?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
wolly said:
Is this the wrong place to talk about this?
No, the Career Guidance forum is appropriate for this kind of question. I just think your previous thread where it appeared you really wanted to stay away from technical subjects and careers has put off the folks who normally respond to this type of question.
 
wolly said:
I didn't studied a lot about lasers and devices for optics other than lenses in high school.Do I stand a chance here?I mean the math isn't hard but I'm not sure if it is a competitive field.Is it worth it?I don't do it for the money and I will do this for experience.
I hope you can share your opinions about this career.
You may have a chance here. Undergraduate degree objective in Physics could be the preparation to put you in the direction of optician or something. Later, do you want to work in health & treatment? Or do you want to work with fitting people for lenses and frames?

I just did a very quick online search but you should check your own search and inquiries to various schools...
http://courses.vccs.edu/colleges/jsrcc/programs/51.1801-OpticianryOphthalmicDispensingOptician

That is just on example of information quickly found.
 
Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?I mean I never had a chemistry lab in high school and school and I learned so little.
 
wolly said:
Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?
No. The training for an optometrist is very different from the training a medical doctor goes through.
 
wolly said:
Is there a chance of promotion if you want to become a doctor?I mean I never had a chemistry lab in high school and school and I learned so little.
As @Mark44 says, they are very different...

https://aapos.org/terms/conditions/132
Difference between an Ophthalmologist, Optometrist and Optician