Physicist Looking to Move from Optics/Lasers/EM to Nuclear Physics

In summary, the speaker is about to graduate with a Ph.D. in physics from a university strong in optics, photonics, and electromagnetism, but weak in nuclear physics. They are interested in studying nuclear physics professionally, but are finding it difficult to do so without prior experience or a strong background in the field. They ask for advice on how to overcome this challenge and potentially enter the field of nuclear physics. Suggestions include seeking out positions in nuclear physics labs or pursuing a second Ph.D. in the field. The speaker also mentions the potential for their background in electromagnetism, optics, and plasma to be applicable in nuclear fusion research, but notes that funding for such programs may be limited. Additionally, the speaker mentions potential crossover research
Phanixis
I am about to graduate with a physics Ph.D. My University is very strong in optics, photonics and electromagnetism, and even basic quantum mechanics (for topics like entanglement and solid state physics) but rather weak in nuclear physics. Thing is, nuclear physics has always fascinated me and I would like to opportunity to study it professional. Unfortunately, post-doctoral nuclear physics programs understandably want physicist who already have strong nuclear physics background, stronger than anything my University could provide. Naturally, failing to undertake Nuclear Physics research professional precludes gaining professional experience in this field necessary to resolve this situation.

Any good suggestions on how to resolve this little catch 22? Any way I can get into nuclear physics with a background in electromagnetism, optics, laser, and to a lesser extent, plasma and quantum mechanics?

Nuclear fusion almost seems like my best bet, seeing as inertial confinement fusion obviously requires extensive use of lasers and optics while magnetic confinement fusion involves electromagnetism and plasma physics. However, these programs don't seem to be doing so well, and unless I am mistaken, MIT is having to shut down their fusion reactor due to lack of funding.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for an experimental physicist, position, there may be the need of someone with your background in some nuclear physics lab (accelerators labs and so on). You should try and ask around. Or the other possibility (even if you may not like it too much) could be to take another PhD, this time in Nuclear Physics, in some other University

Well, my first question is why would you want to move into a field that has worse career prospects than your own (or at least I think it does, I'm pretty bearish on nuclear physics these days)?

On the other hand, I would probably hire you if you were any good. And my group right now does have a postdoc with a background similar to yours. Much of the day-to-day work in experimental nuclear physics involves dealing with radiation detectors, analyzing data, and performing simulations. I think any reasonable experimentalist could get up to the speed with the former two items.

In anycase, you can search the arxiv nucl-th/nucl-ex for 'plasma' 'laser' etc to see the type of research that overlaps with your background.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a nuclear physicist?

To become a nuclear physicist, you typically need a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. Many positions also require a graduate degree in nuclear physics or a related field. It's important to have a strong background in mathematics, as well as experience with computer programming and laboratory research.

2. How does nuclear physics differ from optics, lasers, and electromagnetics?

Nuclear physics is the study of the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei, while optics, lasers, and electromagnetics focus on the properties and interactions of light and electromagnetic radiation. Nuclear physics also involves the study of nuclear reactions and their applications, such as energy production and medical imaging.

3. What skills and knowledge from my current field can I apply to nuclear physics?

As a physicist with a background in optics, lasers, and electromagnetics, you likely have a strong understanding of fundamental physics principles and mathematical modeling. These skills can be applied to nuclear physics, as well as your experience with experimental design, data analysis, and computer simulations.

4. Are there any specific areas within nuclear physics that are currently in high demand?

Some areas within nuclear physics that are currently in high demand include nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, and nuclear fusion research. Additionally, there is a growing need for experts in radiation protection and nuclear waste management, as well as those with skills in data analysis and computer simulations for nuclear research.

5. What are some resources for someone looking to transition from optics/lasers/EM to nuclear physics?

Some resources for someone looking to transition from optics/lasers/EM to nuclear physics include networking with professionals in the field, attending conferences and workshops, and taking courses or obtaining a graduate degree in nuclear physics. It can also be helpful to gain hands-on experience through internships or research opportunities in nuclear physics laboratories.