Is a Career in Academia the Right Path After My PhD in Electrical Engineering?

  • Topic: Job Skills 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Abripin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Career Phd Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Abripin
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Within one year I will be graduating in electrical engineering (mainly optics) and have no idea of what to do afterwards. I always thought of doing an academic career but during my phd I will probably publish two or three papers overall. Seeing the struggle postdocs go through to find an academic career even when they have very good publication record has made me seriously doubt about it. I wondered them if you could suggest any career paths that could suit the things I like (online carrer tests weren't very helpful).
I would like a job where: the work is not too repetitive, I can work with people and brainstorm with them ideas about science, I can mentor and share my knowledge, helping other with my expertise, learn always more about science, read about science and perform or supervise experiments. Instead I find myself not good at: overselling my ideas, marketing myself, being pushy. which jobs get closer to these descriptions in your opinion? Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Abripin, :welcome: welcome back, that is.
Abripin said:
Within one year I will be graduating in electrical engineering (mainly optics)
Congratulations !
Abripin said:
thought of doing an academic career but during my phd I will probably publish two or three papers overall
Congratulations again ! In your field you won't have 150 authors to share with, so this is a considerable achievement when weighted properly.
Abripin said:
the struggle postdocs go through
All of them ? Or are you just a bit gloomy as a kind of prenatal depression :rolleyes: ?
Abripin said:
I would like a job where: the work is not too repetitive, I can work with people and brainstorm with them ideas about science, I can mentor and share my knowledge, helping other with my expertise, learn always more about science, read about science and perform or supervise experiments. Instead I find myself not good at: overselling my ideas, marketing myself, being pushy
The ideal son-in-law, team worker, colleague scientist, etc. This fits 98% of everyone. So yes, there is some competition in finding the ideal job. Ignore them: you are one of a kind, a specialist who understandably hasn't looked around too much while focusing on his PhD work.

I can't tell you what to do with your life. The only one who can is you, but you could look around for assistance: your promotor (the one who guides you now - what's the english word: thesis advisor?) -- he/she should have a network you're entitled to engage. And beyond that: your predecessors who did find a job, your target audience for your publications, the ones in your list of references, and so on.

Good hunting !
 
Last edited: