Can I Chain Together Multiple Routers to Connect More Devices on One LAN?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FredT
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
FredT
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm looking to get 12 or 13 machines all on one LAN. Unfortunately, it appears that 12+ port networking devices cost $$$$. Would it work if I were to take a 4 port router and plug another 4 port router into one of the ports, then another 4 port router into that one, and then another, to give me a total of 13 ports (considering the ports taken up by connecting the four routers)? I don't think routers work like that... please tell me I'm wrong. What should I do to overcome my networking dilemma?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but with switches (or hubs) not routers - only the first one should be a router.
8 (or even 16) port switches are cheap, especially if you only need home networkign speeds
 
One router hooked up to a switch like this will work. And switches are very cheap. I got a 16 port switch 10/100 for $12 bucks.

netgear_gs748ts_48_port_gigabit_network_switch.gif
 
For some reason, all the switches I was looking at earlier cost a fortune. All set now, though. Thanks for the help guys!