Can I Double Protect My Outlets with Outlet Surge Protectors?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DonL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Protection
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
DonL
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Good afternoon,

I have installed a whole house surge protector. Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well? I've read where you shouldn't piggyback surge protectors and didn't know it the additional outlet protectors would interfere with the whole house protector.

Thank you as always,

DonL
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
DonL said:
I've read where you shouldn't piggyback surge protectors

not that I'm aware of

DonL said:
didn't know it the additional outlet protectors would interfere with the whole house protector.

I would be quite in favour of adding additional surge protectors on power outlets, particularly where sensitive gear is plugged in.
I can see it as a way to help eliminate anything that got past the main protector

Dave
 
The reason to not piggyback several of them inside one protector is the weakest one will blow first and you might not know it's gone. So your capacity to absorb the next surge is reduced. Same reason you don't parallel fuses.

I'd say what you propose, scattering them about the house, is a good idea. Particularly if they're a type you can test and replace any that have made their ultimate sacrifice for you.
 
DonL said:
Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well?
What surges are you expecting that you must protect against ?
How often did you have problems with surges before installing the protection ?
Are you just buying peace-of-mind ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
jim hardy said:
The reason to not piggyback several of them inside one protector is the weakest one will blow first and you might not know it's gone. So your capacity to absorb the next surge is reduced. Same reason you don't parallel fuses.

I can see where you are coming from, but with the BIG arrestor first inline at the house entry point
it will/ should take the main brunt of the overload. It's not really as if it and a small secondary one are directly in parallel ... directly piggybacked
As the secondary one is at some xx cable length away

just my thoughts :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
DonL said:
I have installed a whole house surge protector. Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well?
Sure. Usually it is about having a class I and/or class II SPD for the house, and a class III for the individual device/outlet.
I don't know that 'whole house surge protector' is what class, but I guess it'll be something bigger than outlet SPDs, so it is OK.

Ps.: did you know that you have to protect every line what comes inside the house ( I mean: any antenna, phone, internet and so) if you want a decent protection?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic and Tom.G