Can I Find a Summer Research Opportunity with a 3.4 GPA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ateowa
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ateowa
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm a Sophomore at a Pennsylvania state university and my GPA is around a 3.4. I was hoping to get some kind of research opportunity over the summer. I've been looking for REU's using the NSF's list on their website and a website called compadre.com. However, these are pretty competitive, and GPA isn't that great. Am I just psyching myself out, or is it unlikely that I can get a position at one of those places? How else can I find a research opportunity over the summer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any research at your university? I did an internship at a neighboring university after my freshman year, and as a consequence got into half the REU programs I applied for the next summer. They really like it if you've already had some experience. You can apply for a bunch of REUs, but also ask around - Penn State has some great departments, you could find a really good project right there.