1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I get masters in physics after bachelors in engineering?

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    I am in the final semester of my bachelors in Mechanical engineering, my aggregate %age is only 65. I am interested in studying physics, astronomy, I always wanted to, but I opted for engineering after my higher secondary(10+2) instead of bachelors in physics. Now I feel that it is too late to start doing what I am passionate about. I was quite depressed during last few years and could not concentrate on my studies.I have, I would not say excellent, but a fair grasp of my subjects. But something tells me that I should go for it. I am from India, the education system here is quite different than that of the U.S. and Europe, we do not have the concepts of major and minor in engineering, there are just subjects divided in 8 semesters. My problem is that my scores are not good enough for universities in the U.S., also I do not know anything about the admission process. I have visited several universities' websites and they all say something about recommendation letters from faculty who are acquainted with the my academic or research qualifications. Am I good enough to study masters in physics in U.S.. after bachelors in Mechanical engineering with average scores.I know there are a lot of good institutions in India like the IITs, but I want to move out on my own. I have heard about GRE, If I score good in this test, will it help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Finding a terminal masters program in the US for physics isn't the easiest, and your grades probably won't get you accepted to any US university worth going to. Instead of getting depressed about the situation, you should have done better in your current studies. If possible, it would be advisable to get a bachelors in physics from India, do well, and then apply for a PhD program here in the US if that's still what you want to do.

4. Nov 7, 2015 #3
  5. Nov 10, 2015 #4
    did you mean masters degree in physics in India?also if I get a masters in physics, what chances would I have to study astronomy and astrophysics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook