Can I have my name changed?

• Thread starter Zeppelin34
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about one person wanting to change their name or "handle" on PhysicsForums. They made the mistake of using their real name and they don't want it to show up on Google searches. They ask if it's possible to change their name and someone suggests messaging @Greg Bernhardt for assistance. Eventually, the person decides on the new handle "Starman11" and it is changed for them.
Zeppelin34
Hey people I was wondering if it was possible to have my name changed to something random. I made the mistake of using my real name and I just don't like the idea of showing up on Google searches.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh you mean your "handle" in PhysicsForums. Perhaps write a note to @Greg Bernhardt to see what can be done, if anything

Yes message me what you want it changed to

Greg Bernhardt said:
Zeppelin34?

Thanks dude

Greg Bernhardt said:

Hi. Could you change my name or "handle" in the physics forum, since I do not want my name to be used there. I would prefer Starman11.

Starman11 said:
Hi. Could you change my name or "handle" in the physics forum, since I do not want my name to be used there. I would prefer Starman11.
Done. :smile:

1. How can I legally change my name?

To legally change your name, you will need to go through a legal process in your state or country. This typically involves submitting a petition to the court, providing a valid reason for the name change, and paying a fee. You may also need to publish a notice of your name change in a local newspaper.

2. Can I change my name to anything I want?

In most cases, you can choose any name you want when changing your name. However, there are some restrictions, such as not being able to choose a name that is offensive or already in use by someone else. It's important to research the laws and regulations in your area before deciding on a new name.

3. How long does it take to change my name?

The time it takes to legally change your name varies depending on your location. In some states, the process can take a few weeks, while in others it may take several months. It's important to start the process early and be prepared for potential delays.

4. Will changing my name affect my credit or legal documents?

If you legally change your name, you will need to update your name on all legal documents, including your driver's license, passport, and social security card. This may also affect your credit report and you may need to notify your bank, credit card companies, and other institutions of your name change.

5. Can I change my name for any reason?

In most cases, you will need to provide a valid reason for changing your name, such as a marriage or divorce, personal preference, or to distance yourself from a previous name. However, some states may allow you to change your name for any reason as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes.