Can i pursue pg in psychology after ug in engineering?

In summary, you should explore what universities have requirements before making a decision to change majors.
VishalB95
I am in my 2nd year into engineering, and lately i have realized this is not my interest.
I want to do forensic psychology or criminal psychology.
I have searched the net enough and have not found a convincing answer as to whether i can do those courses after engineering, or do i need to do undergrad in psychology?
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to do is to go to the web sites of some universities you think you might be interested in, and see what their admissions requirements are.

If you are only in your 2nd year, why don't you just switch majors?

Likes ulianjay
I don't want to waste the 2 years I've put into this, and honestly there is no one to guide me down that path, so it would be a gamble which I am willing to take without any knowledge

So to keep from wasting 2 years, your plan is to waste another 2 years? And because you might not have someone to guide you down the path that takes you where you want to go, you'll take the path that you are certain does not take you where you want to go? Neither of these sound to me like very good plans.

Psychology and Engineering are very different from each-other. Look inside your own head and find why you are interested in Psychology, and maybe what is it about Engineering that you do not like. You seem to have an idea what you want to do with a degree in Psychology, but you should understand, you would likely need at least a Master's degree in Psychology if you want to have much of a powerful, good job from it. Think about that: What exactly do you want to do with a degree in Psychology? What will the job position/s be?

I said i wanted to do criminal or forensic psychology, because it interests me. I have been reading crime novels and stuff for the past 7 8 years and nothing has interested me more than them. But i cannot leave what i have and go into something else just because it fascinates me without proper guidance and background.
And i don't hate what i am doing. If you google education system in india, you would understand what i am saying. I am so far away from home in the middle of nowhere and i have nowhere to even move my ass and learn something even if i wanted to. And the education here so well complements that.
But i get over with this in 2 years and well, i will get a job(not for what i studied or what i want) but then its the safest way.

VishalB95 said:
I am in my 2nd year into engineering, and lately i have realized this is not my interest.
I want to do forensic psychology or criminal psychology.
I have searched the net enough and have not found a convincing answer as to whether i can do those courses after engineering, or do i need to do undergrad in psychology?
Please help

"Doing those courses" in Engineering would not disqualify you for starting a new sequence of courses in Psychology, but this means basically starting over. Are you willing to start over like that? Can you feel comfortable letting your skill and knowledge in Engineering drop?

@symbolipoint That is my question precisely. I visited few university websites like V50 suggested, and they say they don't need psychology background in ug for masters in psychology. But then, as i already said, at this point i have too little exposure to decide if a decision to quit engineering and pursue psychology is good.

VishalB95 said:
@symbolipoint That is my question precisely. I visited few university websites like V50 suggested, and they say they don't need psychology background in ug for masters in psychology. But then, as i already said, at this point i have too little exposure to decide if a decision to quit engineering and pursue psychology is good.
You could explore the idea of Psychology this way: Enroll in one or two introductory level Psychology courses. That can help you to decide about a change in major field, or if you want to continue in both Engineering and Psychology.

The idea of Master's degree in Psychology without the equivalent of undergraduate degree in Psychology seems unworkable or invalid.

Another idea:
Forget about psychology, and just or first get a degree in Engineering. Maybe push for more than just undergrad degree in Engineering, but keep within Engineering, Mathematics, Physics. Have you known about "the red bead experiment"? Try an internet search and also a search through YouTube for the red bead experiment. Maybe a degree in Psychology is not always needed for some examination of human behavior.

Last edited:
I will finish engineering.
Are there any online platforms for such things? Because i am studying in a college which is very remotely located, and i don't think there will be anything around here.

Google "number of psychology degrees." Compare the number of degrees awarded per year to the number of job openings in your part of the world. Compare to the number of "connections" you have that might lead to employment.

1. Can I pursue a postgraduate degree in psychology after completing my undergraduate degree in engineering?

Yes, you can pursue a postgraduate degree in psychology after completing your undergraduate degree in engineering. Many universities offer graduate programs in psychology that do not require a specific undergraduate degree. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the program.

2. Will my engineering background be relevant in a psychology program?

Your engineering background may not directly relate to psychology, but it can still be beneficial in a psychology program. Your problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and ability to work with data can be applied in psychological research and analysis. Additionally, having a diverse educational background can make you a more well-rounded and valuable candidate in the job market.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in psychology to pursue a postgraduate degree in it?

No, you do not necessarily need to have a strong background in psychology to pursue a postgraduate degree in it. However, having some knowledge and understanding of basic psychological principles and theories can be helpful in the program. As mentioned before, you may need to take some prerequisite courses to fill any gaps in your knowledge.

4. What career opportunities will be available to me with a postgraduate degree in psychology after an undergraduate degree in engineering?

Having a postgraduate degree in psychology can open up various career opportunities in areas such as counseling, research, teaching, and human resources. Your engineering background can also be valuable in fields that require both technical and psychological knowledge, such as human factors engineering or industrial-organizational psychology.

5. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to students with undergraduate degrees in psychology?

No, you will not be at a disadvantage compared to students with undergraduate degrees in psychology. Many graduate programs in psychology are designed to accommodate students with different educational backgrounds. Your engineering degree can bring a unique perspective and set of skills to the program that can be beneficial in your studies and future career.