Can I send a research paper to college?

In summary, the 14-year-old student is interested in physics and has already learned about Calculus and Special Relativity. They are now studying Mathematical Background for Quantum in hopes of pursuing a career in mathematical-physics. They are wondering if they can send a research paper to a university and if it will help their career. However, it is unlikely that they will be able to do original research at their age and level of education. It would be better for them to approach a university and contribute to a professor's research work in experimental physics. The main objective should be to learn from experienced individuals rather than trying to make a groundbreaking discovery.
Ayham
Hi, I'm 14 and i like physics too much to just stick with the Newton laws at school, I learned Calculus and Special Relativity, and now I'm learning Mathematical Background for Quantum, I was wondering... After I learn Quantum can I send a research to college (my dad gave me this idea)? And if I did, Does it help me for my career? I want to study mathematical-physics in college. Any help? Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean write a research paper and send it to a university?

yes..

There's no way that you will be able to do original research after studying some math and a book on quantum mechanics. I don't think there's anything you can send to a university that will help your career. Just focus on getting good grades, and keep studying a little extra on the side.

What is it you're hoping to happen as a result of sending in a researcher paper? To get it published? If so, it would be a much better idea to approach the university and ask if you can contribute to a professor's research work in the experimental physics department. I know of students who did this as an extracurricular for a few years during high school, and as a result got their names on research papers before starting university.

The fact is that, while learning about relativity and quantum mechanics as a high schooler is certainly impressive, it is extremely unlikely you're going to come up with any new results on your own that will merit publication. Even graduate students don't just go off on their own and write stuff—they do research that's directed by their more experienced advisors, who know how to formulate good research questions and how to go about trying to answer them.

actually my friend, is a Physics professor at a university close to my house, I was thinking about asking him what i can do... idea?

That sounds like a very good idea. Assuming he's in experimental physics, that is. Contributing to theoretical physics usually requires some very advanced mathematics, but just about anyone can learn some basic laboratory methods and contribute to experimental work. It would be a very good learning experience for you. So, yes, I encourage you to talk to your friend and see if you could either do some work for him, or see if he can introduce you to one of his colleagues who would be willing to mentor you.

The important thing is that you look at this as an opportunity to learn. If you manage to meaningfully help with a publishable discovery, that would be a nice bonus. But that shouldn't be your main objective.

my main objective is to be a Physicist... a great one

Your immediate main objective should be to learn as much as you can from experienced people. That is what a research project at a university will help you to do. If you walk in the door with grandiose ideas about making some great discovery while in high school, you will probably (a) wind up very discouraged before too long, and (b) be a bit of an annoyance for the senior students who you will be helping.

1. Can I submit a research paper to college even if I am not a student?

Yes, some colleges or universities have programs that allow non-students to submit research papers for consideration. However, these programs may have specific guidelines and requirements, so it is best to check with the college or program beforehand.

2. Can I submit a research paper that has already been published?

It depends on the college or university's policies. Some may allow previously published papers as long as proper credit is given, while others may only accept original research. It is important to check with the institution beforehand to avoid any potential issues.

3. Do I have to be the sole author of the research paper to submit it to college?

No, some colleges or universities may allow co-authored papers to be submitted. However, it is important to check with the institution's guidelines as they may have specific requirements for co-authored papers, such as each author's contribution to the research.

4. Do I need to have a specific academic background to submit a research paper to college?

It depends on the college or university's requirements. Some may require the author to have a certain level of education or expertise in the research topic, while others may accept papers from individuals with diverse backgrounds. It is best to check with the institution beforehand.

5. Can I submit a research paper to multiple colleges at the same time?

It is generally not recommended to submit the same research paper to multiple colleges simultaneously. It is important to carefully select the colleges or universities that align with your research and follow their submission guidelines. Submitting to multiple institutions may also be seen as unethical and could potentially harm your chances of acceptance.