Can i switch from computer science to computer engineering?

In summary, the speaker has a bachelor's degree in computer science and is now interested in the hardware aspect of computers. They are considering pursuing a master's degree in computer engineering, but are unsure if it is possible without a bachelor's degree in that field. They are seeking more information and advice on the matter.
Alla
I have a bachelors in computer science, i have recently become more interested in hardware aspect of computers, any help would be appreciated.(my undergrad didn't require ANY physics class).

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not entirely clear what you are asking. Are you trying to become a computer engineer with a BS in CS? Are you thinking about going back to school to study computer engineering? More information would help.

I want to get a masters degree in computer engineering, I am afraid it might not be possible as i don't have a bachelors degree in computer engineering.(Thank you in advance).details would be appreciated.

Alla said:
I want to get a masters degree in computer engineering, I am afraid it might not be possible as i don't have a bachelors degree in computer engineering.(Thank you in advance).details would be appreciated.
Well, don't abandon all hope yet.

Have you talked with the academic advisors at any schools to which you might be interested in applying? You should, before letting this question worry you further.
You may have to take some undergraduate courses from the CE curriculum which your CS curriculum didn't require. Since you already have an undergraduate degree, that shouldn't be a problem, if you really want to pursue a CE graduate degree.

Likes Alla

1. Can I switch from computer science to computer engineering?

Yes, it is possible to switch from computer science to computer engineering. Both fields are closely related and share many core concepts. However, it may require additional coursework or a change in academic program.

2. Will I have to start over if I switch from computer science to computer engineering?

It depends on the specific courses and credits you have completed in your current program. Some universities may allow you to transfer credits towards your new program, while others may require you to retake certain courses. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for your specific situation.

3. What is the main difference between computer science and computer engineering?

Computer science focuses on the theory and principles behind computing, while computer engineering combines principles from computer science and electrical engineering to design and develop hardware and software systems. In other words, computer science is more theoretical, while computer engineering is more practical and applied.

4. Can I switch to computer engineering if I have no background in engineering?

It is possible to switch to computer engineering without a background in engineering. However, you may need to take additional courses to catch up on the necessary engineering concepts. It is important to do thorough research and consult with an academic advisor before making the switch.

5. Which field has better job prospects, computer science or computer engineering?

Both computer science and computer engineering have excellent job prospects in today's technology-driven world. The demand for professionals in both fields is high and expected to continue growing. Ultimately, the job prospects will depend on your individual skills, experience, and interests.