1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can i take all these math classes?

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    EMIII (EM waves in particular)
    CLASSICAL MECHANICS (via Herstein)

... is this possible in a semester?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Overkill?

It sounds doable, as long as you are prepared to study a lot.
  4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

It does sound like overkill. Are you familiar with any of these classes beforehand by prior reading? If not, do prepare to work really hard.
  5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

i wouldn't do it. (well mostly because i don't like math that much)
    last semester i did 4 physics+1 math, that was a lot of fun.
    i guess it depends on how much work each class in your school is, but i would rather have more time to spend on important classes like EnMII, which you won't have if you take all these classes.
    but it is possible if you prepare to work hard, and don't mind studying all the time.
  6. Jul 29, 2008 #5

I'd say it depends on how your classes are taught. EM 3 for me was pretty cool material, but I wanted to murder the professor with a stapler he sucked so bad. For that class it really helps if you know your previous 2 EM classes in and out.

Classical mechanics for me (the entire class, really) was a giant pain because the teacher was really hard and the book we used was garbage. However, if you've already taken 2 EM courses, you should be comfortable with cross products and differentials and stuff like that, so the course will probably be more enjoyable. Prepare to study a lot, though.

Can't say about the rest, sorry.
  7. Jul 29, 2008 #6

I thought Herstein was algebra, not mechanics? Did he also write a physics book?
  8. Jul 29, 2008 #7

Maybe he meant Goldstein? Or put the Herstein with the wrong class? Or both?

Anyway, that class schedule looks a nip stressful, but completely doable. I'd take it!
  9. Jul 29, 2008 #8

I meant Goldstein =)

I don't know my algebra book. I think its Dummit or Artin.
  10. Jul 31, 2008 #9

I loved abstract algebra. If you've had a course requiring many proofs before, that might be the class that gives you a breather (math is not easy, but I think a first course in abstract algebra is not nearly so difficult as advanced E&M or topology). On the other hand if you have never seen upper division math, or written proofs, you may want to wait for the maths.

Or just drop one of the harder ones - four classes is much more manageable than five. I made the mistake of taking a similar semester, and while I succeeded and passed with A's, I think I almost died. I'm not sure if I ever want a 4.0 again, if it means that kind of stress... you don't have as much time to absorb the information as if you spread it out and really focus instead of jumping around between classes. Of course, my school didn't have an intermediate E&M class at all, so all of us were screwed in the advanced class, and we've only had maybe 5 people pass a topology class at all in the past 1-2 years....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?