Can I turn hydrogen gas into electricity without purchasing a fuel cell?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
drew wood
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I would like to start experimenting with hydrogen as an electricity source, but I haven't been able to find any good resources for steps after the hydrogen generation. I've made some prototypes of small-scale hydrogen generation using electrolysis, so now I basically have two bags, one filled with hydrogen and the other one with oxygen. My question is now how do I go about taking these two gases and turning them into electricity. I'm looking for a feasible option that doesn't require just purchasing a fuel cell, rather, making my own.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi drew, :welcome:

Re-think: hydrogen is just as much an energy source as copper wire ...

The way to 'make' electricity is to not use it to make hydrogen.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: billy_joule
BvU said:
Hi drew, :welcome:

Re-think: hydrogen is just as much an energy source as copper wire ...

The way to 'make' electricity is to not use it to make hydrogen.

It is more of a science experiment/test, just too see how it works and such.
 
But to test it as a source you have to take it from somewhere first. Yes, there is a loss of energy in the process.

Hydrogen half cell comes to mind as part of a possible setup. You will have problems finding good electrode material though.
 
Borek said:
But to test it as a source you have to take it from somewhere first. Yes, there is a loss of energy in the process.

Hydrogen half cell comes to mind as part of a possible setup. You will have problems finding good electrode material, though.

Lets say I can obtain the electrode material (platinum wire or whatever is necessary), any thoughts on constructing a half cell?
 
Wire in the acidic solution (around 0.5-1 M sulfuric acid would be my first choice), gas bubbled through the solution. You won't get high currents, and you will lose plenty of hydrogen (unless you can make it a closed system, with the gas circulating), but it should already work. You will need an oxygen half cell as well, and some kind of membrane (or a salt bridge).
 
Hydrogen is a energy storage medium, like a battery. Not an energy cell.

Considering hydrogen gas is hard to work with, volatile, explosive, hard to contain without leakage, consider using something else.
There's a reason technology develops towards bio ethanol/propanol and electric, not hydrogen gas fuel cells.