Can I Use a 60amp Power Supply for a 24V Thermoelectric Cooler?

• Thread starter blckonyxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: But keep in mind that if you're going to do this, you might as well just get a 12V unit in the first place and not risk damage to the TEC.If that is indeed the case (and you can get inside) then rewiring the unit would be an option. But keep in mind that if you're going to do this, you might as well just get a 12V unit in the first place and not risk damage to the TEC.
Ok guys...I don't profess to fully grasp the Amps to Voltage correlation...so this may be a painfully easy and silly question...but here it goes.

Is there a reasonable way to test this:
tetech.com
LC200 thermoelectric cooler
Spec:
200 Watt
24VDC
16.8 Amp
FAN: 24V@0.85 Amp

...with this Tenma HD 60amp
Specifications:
•Output Voltage: 1~15VDC
•Output Current: 60A
•Load regulation: 0.1% +5mV
•Line regulation: 0.05% +3mV
•Ripple and noise: 40mV (p-p)
•Efficiency: 85%
•Meter accuracy: ±1% +1 count
•Power requirements: 120VAC, 60Hz

If not, can I convert it or rewire it? Thanks.

Jesse

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Power supplies are listed showing their maximum current.
The current they produce in operation is dependent on the impedance of the load.
E=IR is the relationship.

In this case the LC200 doc says it needs 24V.
Your power supply only produces a maximum potential of 15V.
So it's not going to work.

http://www.tetech.com/docs/LC-200.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the welcome.

I can appreciate that...but as I look at this TEC and fan it appears to be nothing more than a massive aluminum heat sink, block, a fan, a shroud, and wires. No processor or anything special. Can I modify the wiring to use a 12v system?

If it has multiple cooling modules wired in series then it should be doable.
Not having one of these units, I can't tell you how it is wired.

blckonyxx said:
I can appreciate that...but as I look at this TEC and fan it appears to be nothing more than a massive aluminum heat sink, block, a fan, a shroud, and wires. No processor or anything special. Can I modify the wiring to use a 12v system?
A TEC is a semiconductor device that has specific performance properties. Think of it the same way as you would think about an electric heater: If it is rated for 24V, it really does need 24V to make it work at its maximum potential. You can certainly run it at 12V, though - just at a lower output.

Perhaps the manufacturer has a performance curve they can provide you with. Check their website. Example: http://www.overclockers.com/tips45/ [Broken]

russ_watters said:
A TEC is a semiconductor device that has specific performance properties. Think of it the same way as you would think about an electric heater: If it is rated for 24V, it really does need 24V to make it work at its maximum potential. You can certainly run it at 12V, though - just at a lower output.

Perhaps the manufacturer has a performance curve they can provide you with. Check their website. Example: http://www.overclockers.com/tips45/ [Broken]
True.
But the individual peltier devices I've seen have a substantially lower voltage requirement.
So chances are there are several wired in series.
If that is indeed the case (and you can get inside) then rewiring the unit would be an option.

1. What is the purpose of asking "Another set up question?"

The purpose of asking "Another set up question" is to gather more information and gain a deeper understanding of the topic at hand. It can also help to clarify any uncertainties or provide a different perspective on the subject.

2. How does asking "Another set up question" contribute to the scientific process?

Asking "Another set up question" contributes to the scientific process by promoting critical thinking and further exploration of the topic. It helps to refine research questions and hypotheses, as well as identify potential variables and limitations of a study.

3. Are there any specific guidelines for asking "Another set up question" in a scientific setting?

Yes, there are several guidelines for asking "Another set up question" in a scientific setting. These include being open-minded and respectful, using clear and precise language, and avoiding leading or biased questions. It is also important to listen actively and respond thoughtfully to any follow-up questions.

4. Can asking "Another set up question" lead to new discoveries or insights?

Absolutely! Asking "Another set up question" can open up new avenues of thinking and lead to unexpected discoveries or insights. It can also help to challenge current beliefs and theories, leading to advancements in scientific knowledge.

5. How can scientists use "Another set up question" to improve their research?

Scientists can use "Another set up question" to improve their research by continuously questioning and challenging their own ideas and methods. By asking "Another set up question," they can identify potential flaws in their research design and consider alternative explanations for their findings, leading to more robust and reliable results.

Suggested for: Can I Use a 60amp Power Supply for a 24V Thermoelectric Cooler?

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views