1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I use a dot product of accel. and vel. to find displace.

1. Nov 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data at what initial speed would a projectile have to start at when ejected at 35 degrees to the horizontal from a point A to a point B which is 9.4km distance away in the horizontal and 3.3km below it. taking g as 10m/s

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not really sure if these equations are relevant because if I can't use the dot product they are not

A⋅B=ABcosθ

3. The attempt at a solution so first of all the resultant displacement between the x and y is 9.96 km so the I said that v⋅a=vacos55 (as the angle between the acceleration which is straight down and v is 55) and because I'm assuming that the dot product between v and a is displacement I said 9960=v10cos55 and got v=1736.5 m/s

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2
    I just realised of course displacement is also a vector, which was pretty silly of me still any help with the actual question would be much appreciated

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted