1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding dot product, cross, and angle between 2 vectors

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Vector A lies in the yz plane 63.0 degrees from the +y axis, has a positive z component, and has a magnitude 3.20 units. Vector B lies in the xz 48.0 degrees from the +x axis, has positive z component, and has magnitude 1.40 units.

a) find A dot B
    b) find A x B
    c) the angle between A and B

2. Relevant equations
    dot product and cross product

3. The attempt at a solution

What I am trying is to put them in unit vector notation like:
    A= axi+ayj so A= [3.20cos(63.0)]i+[3.20sin(63.0)] and then the same for vector B

Then once I have those components I could easily do dot and cross product. My question is what does that "has a positive z component " have to do with anything? And is my setup correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For example, vector B could make an angle of 48° above or below the +x-axis. The "positive z-component" tells you which side of the +x-axis to draw this vector.

I find in these cases making a simple sketch usually clarifies things a bit.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3
    So would there be a z hat in the calculations of the dot and cross or does it just tell you the location of the vector? Because I am still trying to figure out how to find the i and j to be able to find the products

5. Sep 3, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It seems you have three-dimensional vectors here, but I haven't sketched them out or anything. You'll have to work thru the verbal descriptions, and make some sketches as I suggested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted