Can I Use Two Monitors on One Machine?

• Thread starter Tony11235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: I don't think a KVM switch would work because it would only let me use one monitor at a time.In summary, you can use a graphics card with dual vga heads or a KVM switch to have two monitors run from the same machine.
Tony11235
I'm wanting to have two monitors run from the same machine, mostly because I hate having to move from my couch to my desk, back and forth. And when I do, i have to unplug the monitor I have at my couch, and replug the monitor at my desk. Are there adapters such as screen spliters, maybe? I don't see why there wouldn't be.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Most newer video cards natively support dual-monitor or many-monitors. It's fairly common now-a-days. I'm not sure what the name of the cable you get is though... I'm sure if you search for a SVGA splitter or something along those lines, you can find them.

You either need a graphics card with dual vga heads or get the Matrox DualHead2Go. If you don't have an expense video card and don't need high end graphics it would probably be cheapers to get a new video card with the dual vga heads for less then $100. The DualHead2Go is $150.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offhome/dh2go/home.cfm

You can probably use a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch for your purpose.

- Warren

chroot said:
You can probably use a KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) switch for your purpose.

- Warren

But aren't those for multiple computers, single-monitor/keyboard/mouse?

chroot, a KVM won't allow you to stretch your desktop across both monitors. It will only allow you to pick which monitor gets the signal.

dduardo,

That seems to be exactly what the OP is asking for. He doesn't want a huge desktop spanning two monitors. He wants to be able to use the same computer from either of two workstations across the room from each other.

- Warren

Pengwuino said:
But aren't those for multiple computers, single-monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Many KVMs have several inputs and several outputs, and can operate as a crossbar switch, connecting any input to any output.

- Warren

Either one, kvm or vga splitter, would do I think. I'll just do some searching and see what's not so expensive. Thanks for the replies.

A VGA splitter is very cheap. If you're already using a wireless mouse and keyboard, you might just have to move those around. You can also consider plugging two USB keyboards and two USB mice into your computer simultaneously, then using whichever you prefer at the time.

- Warren

I already use two keyboards and two mice simultaneously. The first pair using the original keyboard and mouse plugs. The second pair using a single USB adapter. My extenders are like 10 feet long lol.

What is the purpose of using two monitors on one machine?

The purpose of using two monitors on one machine is to increase productivity by allowing the user to have multiple screens open at once. This can be particularly useful for tasks that require multitasking or referencing multiple sources of information simultaneously.

What is needed to set up two monitors on one machine?

To set up two monitors on one machine, you will need two monitors, a compatible graphics card with multiple ports, and the necessary cables to connect the monitors to the graphics card. You may also need to adjust your computer's display settings to enable the use of two monitors.

Can any computer handle two monitors?

Most modern computers have the capability to support two monitors, but it ultimately depends on the computer's hardware and graphics capabilities. If your computer has a dedicated graphics card with multiple ports, it should have no problem handling two monitors. However, if you are unsure, you can check your computer's specifications or consult with a professional.

Can I use two different monitors on one machine?

Yes, you can use two different monitors on one machine as long as they are compatible with your computer's graphics capabilities and have the necessary ports for connection. However, using two monitors with different resolutions or sizes may affect the display quality and can be more challenging to set up.

What are the benefits of using two monitors on one machine?

Using two monitors on one machine can increase productivity and efficiency by allowing the user to have more screen real estate and multitask more efficiently. It can also improve the user's overall experience by providing a more immersive and seamless display. Additionally, using two monitors can be beneficial for tasks that require referencing multiple sources of information, such as coding, graphic design, or data analysis.