Can Kindness Be the Key to a Harmonious Scientific Community?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, a man whose smile is natural and has a ready twinkle in his eyes is attractive, no matter his age. What a generous person, my dear lorinda, to post such a good post! My dear warhorse, you have never been so gurkha.huh? Gurkhawarhorse-sounds like some fierce warrior who knows how to ride a mighty steed. Perhaps I'm wrong, though..Since arildno told us he's gay, is he trying to come on to everybody? Or is it just me?
Any one traveled up the E40 ? into east germany around dresden way, there
are some lovely scenes to see.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Any one traveled up the E40 ? into east germany around dresden way, there
are some lovely scenes to see.
No, but I have been in York.
Beautiful town.

Astronuc said:
I saw this title in GD when I first got onto the forum. Immediately thought - this has to a Wolram thread. :biggrin:

Nice thread Woolie! And very appropriate. :smile: :cool:

Thank you most kindly :blushing:

What's this thread about? Being nice or traveling? It seems people get speechless when they want to be nice. I mean they just can talk about the weather, food, traveling, memories and stuff like that!(:cry:)

arildno said:
No, but I have been in York.
Beautiful town.

I rarely visit towns or cities, to me the picture post card serenity has gone, it
may return with pedestrianisation of city and town centers, but that may be
years away if ever.

wolram said:
I rarely visit towns or cities, to me the picture post card serenity has gone, it
may return with pedestrianisation of city and town centers, but that may be
years away if ever.
Well, then you should visit Whitby. Absolutely amazing little spot, in my opinion.

Sure there are many nice things, but it just so happens that when I think of 'nice' memories of people and places tend to pop up.

Other nice things include: My newly set up desk and just completed homework, a party tonight, my new curtains and an anticipating feeling towards the start of the smester.

Joel said:
my new curtains
Yes, curtains are nice. Let's have an amicable swapping of nice curtain-stories, or what? :smile:

Lisa! said:
What's this thread about? Being nice or traveling? It seems people get speechless when they want to be nice. I mean they just can talk about the weather, food, traveling, memories and stuff like that!(:cry:)

I think you have a hard shell with a soft center old chapess, have you never
visited some place that remains in your memory. :biggrin:

arildno said:
Yes, curtains are nice. Let's have an amicable swapping of nice curtain-stories, or what? :smile:

My daughter came and helped give my room a spring clean, it is amazing what
a little elbow grease can achieve, my room looks like a new pin :biggrin:

I cleaned out my curtains a few months ago; it was amazing how much nicotine had hidden itself within them.
Now, my curtains are new and shiny! :smile:

arildno said:

Absolutely.

My new curtains havn't been picked out yet, they only exist in my thoughts at the moment. However, they will be a light shade (yet thick enough to keep the light out) of some natural colour (green, brown, red), lightly textured and preferable of some material that doesn't collect so much dust. I have nearly 3m to the roof, white walls and beech/white coloured furniture, and since the appartment is just one room and rather small I hope to keep the feeling of space, given by the high rooft, by having these light curtains. What do you think of that and what kind of curtains do you prefer? :smile:

Joel said:
Sure there are many nice things, but it just so happens that when I think of 'nice' memories of people and places tend to pop up.

Other nice things include: My newly set up desk and just completed homework, a party tonight, my new curtains and an anticipating feeling towards the start of the smester.

you sound very organised, and parties are a favorite pf topic.

wolram said:
My daughter came and helped give my room a spring clean, it is amazing what
a little elbow grease can achieve, my room looks like a new pin :biggrin:

Now there is another good reason for having children. Check! :smile: :wink:

wolram said:
you sound very organised, and parties are a favorite pf topic.

Only when I have to and don't have too much to do. This is the last weekend before the bulk load of my courses start and hence this appartment needs to be livable before that. I have a tingling feeling that nothing will feel organized, when hell breaks out on monday. :smile:

Ps. I'll be sure to post any interesting stories I may encounter tonight.

Last edited:
Joel said:
Absolutely.

My new curtains havn't been picked out yet, they only exist in my thoughts at the moment. However, they will be a light shade (yet thick enough to keep the light out) of some natural colour (green, brown, red), lightly textured and preferable of some material that doesn't collect so much dust. I have nearly 3m to the roof, white walls and beech/white coloured furniture, and since the appartment is just one room and rather small I hope to keep the feeling of space, given by the high rooft, by having these light curtains. What do you think of that and what kind of curtains do you prefer? :smile:
Your ideas sound very fine.
I also like curtains in light colours; I have a set of rather heavy, green ones in my living room I'm not entirely happy about, I'll try and change them soon.

arildno said:
Well, then you should visit Whitby. Absolutely amazing little spot, in my opinion.

Absolutely. I love Whitby. Plus it's surrounded by the North Yorkshire moors, which are beautiful. Some of the villages nearby are amazing, espescially the fishing ones further along the coast.

matthyaouw said:
Absolutely. I love Whitby. Plus it's surrounded by the North Yorkshire moors, which are beautiful. Some of the villages nearby are amazing, espescially the fishing ones further along the coast.
I didn't take my time to explore the countryside around; are there possibilities for back-packing in the area?

BTW, do you have a nice curtain story to share with us?

Well Sir, when I saw your thread first, I thought you wanted to practise how to be nice in your real life. It doesn't take too much to be nice through internet, but of course you're just talking about nice memories now. Some of people aren't nice to people whom they meet in their real lives! Have you ever been in a very sad and depressing situation but :smile: at people who you meet? I mean behaving in a way that people who like to see you happy, think you're the happiest person in the world while you are about to burst into tears? We should discuss here how to be nice to everyone most of the time!

Mr wolram said:
I think you have a hard shell with a soft center old chapess,
Snail? :biggrin:

have you never
visited some place that remains in your memory. :biggrin:

Have you ever had a dream which you've wished it lasted forever?

Backpacking would probably be possible. There are enough footpaths to get about easily. I'm not sure about accomodation though. I've only day tripped to the area, or spent a few days at the same place, so I've never really looked into backpacking.

I have venetian blinds, so My curtains havn't moved in about a year.

By Lisa,
Have you ever had a dream which you've wished it lasted forever?

Yes i have, i dream of living in a country cottage set in beautiful countryside
with a few good freinds, i think about it all the time.

Have you ever tried to make it real?

Lisa! said:
Have you ever tried to make it real?

I think i would have to travel backwards in time, or have mega bucks, and
there is little chance of that.

Has every one stopped being nice ? well i suppose you all did your best :approve:

wolram said:
Has every one stopped being nice ? well i suppose you all did your best :approve:
I'm still nice.

arildno said:
I'm still nice.

Arildno, do you know any thing about this ? http://www.kaupang.uio.no/eng/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember "nice people are boring"?:wink:

wolram said:
Arildno, do you know any thing about this ? http://www.kaupang.uio.no/eng/index.html
Well, I was unaware that there was major researches going on in the Kaupang district now, but I certainly knew that the region was the major trading centre in Southern Norway in Viking times.

I'll check out what has been written about it in Norwegian sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if vikings had curtians?

hypatia said:
I wonder if vikings had curtians?

I will not bet my head on it, but I think they only had curtains, no windows. (Alternatively, you could say their windows where made of lether, but... whatever).

They must have been a hardy people, but not as brusque as depicted in books,
some must have been fine crafts men.

wolram said:
Indeed.
Some actually had to build the Viking ships, for example..

wolram said:

Oh, yes. They traded a lot and managed to sail up shallow rivers with their flat hulled boats; all the way from russia, to north america and to the Mediterranean sea. On second thought, concidering the amount of contact they had with other culutures, they must have had glass. Glass was common during the roman times and again in the middle ages, only during the time in between I think there have been less of it, if IRCC from a glass exhibition in Florence.

Last edited:
Joel said:
Oh, yes. They traded a lot and managed to sail up shallow rivers with their flat hulled boats; all the way from russia, to north america and to the Mediterranean sea. On second thought, concidering the amount of contact they had with other culutures, they must have had glass. Glass was common during the roman times and again in the middle ages, only during the time in between I think may have been less of it, if IRCC from a glass exhibition in Florence.

I was looking at some viking beads to day, a tv show called time team attempted to reproduce one, it was more difficult than they thought.

http://www.regia.org/glass.htm