Can Maglev Trains Be Used for Exercise?

In summary, the problem involves figuring out how currents and magnetic fields interact during a maglev train ride, and solving for various variables.
paulcaimp
Homework Statement
Find an exercise about maglev trains to which Maxwell's equations can be applied
Relevant Equations
Maxwell's Equations with derivative and integrals
Hi everyone, I'm an Italian High Schooler and I need a problem about maglev trains for the final exam. I apologize in advance if my english is bad or if I didn't follow some rules. I'm not native and new to this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

If I understand correctly, you are asked to come up with a homework-like problem about MagLev trains and solve that problem?

What reading have you been doing about MagLev in general and trains in particular? Can you posts to your reading so far? Thanks.

Likes paulcaimp
Yes, so it's been a couple of days during which I've been looking up some videos on youtube () and reading articles (https://sites.tufts.edu/eeseniordesignhandbook/2015/maglev-magnetic-levitating-trains/) to grasp how currents and magnetic fields interact between each other during a maglev train ride. I also found out that two types of maglev trains exist, but for my work I will focus only on electrodynamic suspension trains. I also come across a report of functioning maglev trains that has all kind of datas, so it would be awesome if we can come up with a problem involving these real life figures. It is located at this url (https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/10134413) and the pages that treat eds systems are the 54 and 56. Thanks for your attention

Likes Delta2
berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

If I understand correctly, you are asked to come up with a homework-like problem about MagLev trains and solve that problem?

What reading have you been doing about MagLev in general and trains in particular? Can you posts to your reading so far? Thanks.
Yes, so it's been a couple of days during which I've been looking up some videos on youtube () and reading articles (https://sites.tufts.edu/eeseniordesignhandbook/2015/maglev-magnetic-levitating-trains/) to grasp how currents and magnetic fields interact between each other during a maglev train ride. I also found out that two types of maglev trains exist, but for my work I will focus only on electrodynamic suspension trains. I also come across a report of functioning maglev trains that has all kind of datas, so it would be awesome if we can come up with a problem involving these real life figures. It is located at this url (https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/10134413) and the pages that treat eds systems are the 54 and 56. Thanks for your attention

After a week of desperate searching, I've come across this document (on https://www.academia.edu/34876525/Magnetic_Levitation_Transportation) that shows a series of calculations that are perfect for my assignment. They are under the section "Overcoming the force of gravity" at pages 8-12. Although, I get lost around the sixth equation because I'm not sure the procedure is legit. What do you think?

I'm posting the screenshots of the calculations

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 112
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 124
Which part are you following okay, and what part is tripping you up?

I am now able to follow till the 24th passage. The only thing I'm not getting it's this costant switch between B and H, what's their difference? And also why at the 25th equation we have two forces?

paulcaimp said:
I am now able to follow till the 24th passage. The only thing I'm not getting it's this costant switch between B and H, what's their difference? And also why at the 25th equation we have two forces?
Do you mean equation 24? If so, can you describe your understanding up to that point, and what confuses you? B versus H usually involves the material that the magnetic field is in:

##B = \mu H##

so you will likely see H for non-ferrous regions and B for the field in a ferrous material.

1621904487452.png

Actually, after some efforts and thanks to your heads up, I was able to rewrite all the equations in the way I needed, so I'd say "problem solved". Thank you for the support, guidance and patience

Likes berkeman

1. Can maglev trains be used for exercise?

Yes, maglev trains can be used for exercise in certain ways. While they are not typically designed for exercise purposes, there are ways to incorporate them into a workout routine.

2. How can maglev trains be used for exercise?

Maglev trains can be used for exercise by incorporating them into a cardio workout routine. This can include running or jogging alongside the train, or using the train as a resistance tool for strength training exercises.

3. Are there any safety concerns when using maglev trains for exercise?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when using maglev trains for exercise. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when exercising near or on a maglev train track. It is also recommended to consult with a professional trainer before incorporating maglev trains into a workout routine.

4. What are the benefits of using maglev trains for exercise?

Using maglev trains for exercise can provide a unique and challenging workout experience. It can also improve cardiovascular health, increase muscle strength and endurance, and improve overall fitness levels.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using maglev trains for exercise?

One potential drawback of using maglev trains for exercise is the limited availability of maglev train tracks and the potential for safety hazards. It is also important to note that maglev trains are not specifically designed for exercise, so they may not provide the same level of control and variety as traditional exercise equipment.