Question on the Newtonian displacement of light

In summary: Yes, that is correct. Equation (19) states "We could still use (19) except that the root ##r_{min}## is now negative, which is not physical since ##u = 1/r > 0##." However, in equation (19), Zee mentions that we can consider u_min = 1/r_max as being 0, which I think I understand (light’s the only thing fast enough to escape the gravitational pull into infinity?), but I was confused by that statement of his. Can anyone explain why r_min would be < 0?Mathematically, of course, since he himself mentions physically it doesn’t make sense.
brpetrucci
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi everyone! Hope your day is going well. I’m an ex-physics student who recently wanted to go back to studying the subject (as a hobby, mostly). So I picked up Zee’s GR book since GR is the thing I’m the most interested in. I expected to hit a wall on some basic things since I’m rusty, and did so already in exercise I.1.3.

The question asks to consider light as corpuscles and calculate the deflection of light by the sun. I was confused even where to start, so I peeked at the solutions and saw that Zee mentions applying equation (19) with r_min < 0. I’m confused on why that’s the case. He later says that we can consider u_min = 1/r_max as being 0, which I think I understand (light’s the only thing fast enough to escape the gravitational pull into infinity?), but I was confused by that statement of his. Can anyone explain why r_min would be < 0? Mathematically, of course, since he himself mentions physically it doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure what the rules are about posting PDFs of books here, so let me know if I can. Otherwise, the problem is in page 33 and equation (19) in page 30. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

We have ##\LaTeX## specifically so that you can typeset equations. There's a howto guide linked below the reply box if you don't know it.

Likes brpetrucci
Ibix said:
Welcome to PF.

We have ##\LaTeX## specifically so that you can typeset equations. There's a howto guide linked below the reply box if you don't know it.
Thank you. It seems like I can't edit that post, but I'll make sure to remember that for the future. I guess the equations I mentioned would be ##r_{min} < 0##, and ##u_{min} = 1/r_{max}##.

brpetrucci said:
I’m not sure what the rules are about posting PDFs of books here, so let me know if I can. Otherwise, the problem is in page 33 and equation (19) in page 30.
We follow the "Fair Use" copyright laws, which allow you to post a small portion of a page for non-commercial purposes, as long as you include attribution to where you got it. So it should be fine to post a picture (clear, well-lit, upright, etc.) of the problem and the solution. Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload PDF and JPEG files.

berkeman said:
We follow the "Fair Use" copyright laws, which allow you to post a small portion of a page for non-commercial purposes, as long as you include attribution to where you got it. So it should be fine to post a picture (clear, well-lit, upright, etc.) of the problem and the solution. Use the "Attach files" link below the Edit window to upload PDF and JPEG files.
Thanks! Will do. The equation in question is here, in page 30 of Zee's Einstein Gravity in a Nutshell. In his solution in page 793, he starts "We could still use (19) except that the root ##r_{min}## is now negative, which is not physical since ##u = 1/r > 0##. A moment’s thought indicates that the lower limit for the ##u## integral in (19) should be set to 0." (LaTeX mine). This should make this question self-contained, given one is familiar with the derivation of the Newtonian orbit. Thank you both! Hope someone can help now that I've made my post less badly formatted and it's in the correct place, lol.

To reiterate, the question is why ##r_{min} < 0##. Furthermore, if we assume that that root should be negative, why is the solution to that to make ##u_{min} = 0## and keep ##u_{max}>0##, if ##u_{max} = 1/r_{min}##?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.21.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.21.09 PM.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 70
I'm struggling to relate the extract from Zee in post #5, which appears to be about closed (elliptical) orbits, and your opening post about deflection of light by the Sun.

Likes brpetrucci and Ibix
PS It's hard without seeing the relevant equations 17-19.

Likes brpetrucci and Ibix
PeroK said:
I'm struggling to relate the extract from Zee in post #5, which appears to be about closed (elliptical) orbits, and your opening post about deflection of light by the Sun.
The extract is to give background to what Zee references in the solution to the question as equation 19. The question about the deflection of light by the sun is question 3 of this chapter--I didn't post a specific picture because that's effectively the extent of the question, "Calculate the deflection of light by the sun, applying what you learned in the text to the case ##\epsilon > 0##."
PeroK said:
PS It's hard without seeing the relevant equations 17-19.
I was trying to minimize the amount of pictures of the book, but you make a fair point. Here is the previous part of the derivation of the orbit. Equation 19 is in the picture on post #5. I can clarify other points if something is still confusing. Thank you for your attention!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 1.09.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 1.09.38 PM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 58
So ##u=1/r## and therefore ##u_{min}=1/r_{max}##. What's ##r_{max}## for an open orbit?

Likes brpetrucci
Ibix said:
So ##u=1/r## and therefore ##u_{min}=1/r_{max}##. What's ##r_{max}## for an open orbit?
Infinity! Yeah, that part makes sense. I guess I don’t know how to explain why we expect the orbit of the light to be open from Newtonian terms only. But even then, I guess the thing that tripped me up the most here was the ##r_{min} < 0## part. I guess it’s not essential to the final solution, but I still wanted to try and understand what Zee mentioned there

brpetrucci said:
I guess I don’t know how to explain why we expect the orbit of the light to be open from Newtonian terms only.
Because it's manifestly faster than escape velocity.
brpetrucci said:
But even then, I guess the thing that tripped me up the most here was the ##r_{min} < 0## part. I guess it’s not essential to the final solution, but I still wanted to try and understand what Zee mentioned there
Right, sorry. Got lost on what your question was going backwards and forwards between posts on my phone. Look at the extract you posted in #5 where he re-writes ##2\epsilon-l^2u^2+2\kappa u## in terms of its roots, which is how he defines ##u_{min}##. Note that ##\epsilon## is the "energy at infinity" - the amount of energy (or actually energy per unit mass, to be precise) that the particle has when it reaches infinity. What can you say about ##\epsilon## for a closed orbit, an orbit that just reaches infinity, and an open orbit? What implication does this have for ##u_{min}## in those cases?

Likes brpetrucci
Ibix said:
Because it's manifestly faster than escape velocity.
Oh yeah of course—the escape velocity is by definition the velocity the particle needs to reach infinity at 0 energy, so being faster than the escape velocity implies an open orbit. Fair enough!
Ibix said:
Right, sorry. Got lost on what your question was going backwards and forwards between posts on my phone. Look at the extract you posted in #5 where he re-writes ##2\epsilon-l^2u^2+2\kappa u## in terms of its roots, which is how he defines ##u_{min}##. Note that ##\epsilon## is the "energy at infinity" - the amount of energy (or actually energy per unit mass, to be precise) that the particle has when it reaches infinity. What can you say about ##\epsilon## for a closed orbit, an orbit that just reaches infinity, and an open orbit? What implication does this have for ##u_{min}## in those cases?
Yeah not your fault no worries, I confused everyone in this post haha ok that all makes sense. For an orbit that just reaches infinity that’s 0, that’s the escape velocity case. A closed orbit means we never reach infinity, so ##\epsilon## negative, right? That sounds weird to say since there’s no negative energy but I guess the point is that potential energy is higher in absolute value than kinetic energy. Then for an open orbit it should be positive, I see now why Zee himself says that.

We can find the roots then as

##u = \frac{-\kappa \pm \sqrt{\kappa^2+2l^2\epsilon}}{l^2}##

So if ##\epsilon = 0##, we have just one negative root and one zero, which makes sense since ##r## goes to infinity. If it is negative I guess it depends on the specific value, but we know it just has either one or two roots depending on whether the orbit is circular or elliptical, ok. If it is positive, it has two roots.

OH I see—the sqrt is always greater in absolute value than ##\kappa##, so one of the roots will be negative. Though that shows ##u_{min} <0##, which means ##r_{max}<0## right? But I guess max and min have weird meanings anyway here, I see why he wrote it like that. The “min” there probably intends to talk about absolute value anyway, so the ##u## that’s negative is probably the max one. Anyway, in any case it makes sense. Thanks a lot! I feel bad for not seeing this for myself, but I guess I have to accept that I’m rusty haha I appreciate the help a lot!

Likes Ibix
Sorry to bother you again Ibix, just continuing to get confused on this solution :/ not sure if it's me being rusty or something else. But here, Zee explains how to go from equation (19) with ##u_{min}=0## to the final angle. I understand what he says up until the equation he gets for ##\sin^2{\xi_{min}}##, great. But then he describes the solution when ##\kappa = 0## and then approximates the final result by setting ##\xi## to the same value of the sine squared, and ##\kappa^2=0##. I'm assuming the premises behind those are 1. ##\kappa^2 << 2\epsilon l^2##, and 2. ##\frac{\pi}{2} - \xi_{min} \sim \frac{1}{2} - \sin^2{\xi_{min}}##, which means we're assuming the deviation is really low. Is that the case? I'm just not sure why we can make those approximations, and it seems kind of loose. I guess it might be the only way to do it with Newtonian physics.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 6.04.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 6.04.00 PM.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 62

1. What is the Newtonian displacement of light?

The Newtonian displacement of light refers to the observation that light appears to be displaced when it passes through a transparent medium, such as glass or water. This phenomenon was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. Why does light experience displacement in transparent mediums?

The displacement of light in transparent mediums is caused by the difference in the speed of light in different materials. When light passes from one medium to another, its speed changes, causing it to bend or refract. This bending results in the displacement of the light's path.

3. How does the Newtonian displacement of light relate to the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics and is affected by the medium through which it travels. The Newtonian displacement of light is one of the ways in which the speed of light is influenced by the properties of the medium it passes through.

4. Can the Newtonian displacement of light be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Newtonian displacement of light can be observed in everyday life. For example, when looking at a straw in a glass of water, the straw appears to be bent or displaced due to the refraction of light as it passes through the water.

5. How does the Newtonian displacement of light impact our understanding of optics?

The Newtonian displacement of light is an important principle in optics and helps us understand how light behaves when passing through different materials. It also plays a role in the design of lenses and other optical instruments.