1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can potential energy be greater than total energy?

1. Dec 21, 2015 #1
    I'm working on a homework problem which states:

"Some object, starting from far down the negative x axis and moving in the positive x direction, experiences a force, the potential energy U of which is modelled by the function U = 2e^(-x^2), where x is in meters and U is in Joules. The total energy E of the object remains constant at E = 1J. Describe the motion of the object."

The problem isn't worded that well but I take it to mean the potential energy of the object, not of the force.

Relevant equations:
    E = U + K
    ΔU + ΔK = 0

I understand everything up until the point where U = 1. I know that the greater the potential energy gets, the lesser the kinetic energy gets due to conservation of energy. Thus, the object will slow down as U gets larger and speed up as U gets smaller. When U is greater a than 1, however, K would have to be negative for E to remain constant, which I know is not possible, so I am confused. Am I overlooking something that has to do with the force applied to the object?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly. So what does that tell you about the motion of the object?

4. Dec 21, 2015 #3
    My guess would be that it's not moving, but I'm still not sure how that makes sense in the E = U + K equation.

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It tells you more than that.
    You wrote, correctly:
    Think about this: if you throw a stone up at 1m/s, what will be its speed when it reaches an altitude of 1km?

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    So it never gets there in the first place.

7. Dec 21, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Indeed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted