Can self-study/teaching count as credentials?

In summary, If you are applying for a teaching or educational position, self study or coursework can count as part of your credentials if it is well-done and accompanied by a reference from a supervisor or instructor.
Cibo Matto
Hello, long time lurker here on PF. I was wondering if there is anyway that I could make self-study/teaching count in any way as credentials for future jobs?

I have a masters degree already but I'm hesitant to jump into a PhD since it would require that I attend part time while I work full time as my employment would be paying for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cibo Matto said:
I was wondering if there is anyway that I could make self-study/teaching count in any way as credentials for future jobs?
No. Credentials can only come from accredited organizations and you are not an accredited organization

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, Locrian and RedRum69
Cibo Matto said:
Hello, long time lurker here on PF. I was wondering if there is anyway that I could make self-study/teaching count in any way as credentials for future jobs?

I have a masters degree already but I'm hesitant to jump into a PhD since it would require that I attend part time while I work full time as my employment would be paying for it.
In the strictly official sense, no. But that's not the end of the story. If you look for a job in education or in teaching, any volunteer work can count for something, especially if you secure a reference for what you did. Did you participate as teacher or tutor in some non-paid situation, and then are there supervisors who know the quality of your volunteer work? This will count for something.

Likes Dale
It depends on the requirements for the job. Some jobs have non-negotiable requirements for specific accredited degrees in specific fields. Other jobs require a specific degree (Bachelors, Masters, or PhD) but are more flexible on the specific field as long as you can make a case for the skills. Other jobs have more of a focus on whether you can demonstrate the skills without a specific degree requirement.

My experience is that programming jobs usually focus more on demonstrated skills than specific degrees. Build a portfolio of code and completed projects and you can land jobs without a degree in computer science. Given the dearth of qualified STEM teachers, a lot of districts are also flexible in hiring folks with BS degrees without specific educational degrees.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I was thinking more along the lines of expanding my knowledge with books and work experience. I'm finding that my current job is requiring me to learn other fields (shock physics, high speed fluids, plasma physics) I had not originally studied for. Naturally I've taken to some books when I can to learn the fundamentals and more when I have the time. I started to take classes in order to give my learning some structure but I'm finding it more difficult to manage my time effectively with said courses. Plus I'm currently only taking prerequisites and haven't even reached the courses that I actually need. The fork in the road I'm facing is to continue taking courses to gain the credentials or spend the time to learn the material on my own.

I'm concerned that If I don't receive the degree then at later time I won't be taken seriously when presenting my experience for another job, promotion, etc.

Cibo Matto said:
I'm concerned that If I don't receive the degree then at later time I won't be taken seriously when presenting my experience for another job, promotion, etc.
Definitely, taking a few courses and then self studying will not be viewed as the same as completing a degree. Nor should it.

Some employers will want the skills but not need the degree, they may be willing to accept the self study and may even prefer it. Other employers will need the degree, they will not be willing to accept self study.

Neither set of employers will consider the self study to be the same as the degree.

Last edited:
using post #5,

Learned from books - maybe employer-testable if the representative knows how; but still, no transcript.
Studied a course - produces an entry on your transcripts. The employer representative may still want to test you on this content.

"I studied from a book", is not a transcript.
An entry on university or college transcripts is at least, in many cases, a partial credential.

1. Can self-study/teaching be considered as valid credentials for a job or further education?

It ultimately depends on the field or industry in question. Some industries, such as software development, value self-taught skills and may consider them as valid credentials. However, other industries, such as healthcare, typically require formal education and certification.

2. How can I prove to employers or academic institutions that my self-study/teaching is equivalent to traditional credentials?

You can showcase your self-study/teaching in your resume or portfolio, and provide examples of projects or achievements to demonstrate your skills and knowledge. Additionally, you can earn certifications or take exams in your field to showcase your proficiency.

3. Are there any disadvantages to relying solely on self-study/teaching for credentials?

One potential disadvantage is the lack of external validation or recognition. Without a formal degree or certification, it may be more challenging to prove your qualifications to employers or academic institutions. Additionally, you may miss out on the structured learning and guidance that comes with traditional education.

4. Can self-study/teaching be a substitute for hands-on experience or practical training?

While self-study/teaching can provide a strong foundation of knowledge and skills, it may not fully replace the hands-on experience or practical training that comes with traditional education. It is essential to find opportunities to apply your knowledge and gain practical experience to supplement your self-study.

5. How can I ensure the quality and credibility of the resources I use for self-study/teaching?

There is a wealth of information available for self-study/teaching, but not all sources may be reliable or up-to-date. It is essential to do thorough research and check the credentials of the author or organization providing the resources. Additionally, seeking guidance from industry professionals or joining online communities can help validate the quality of your self-study/teaching.