Can SMD components be used on a breadboard with a cheap soldering iron?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Tizzo
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'd like to breadboard a surface mount IC for testing. Is there some type of connector that can be purchased to plug the IC into which will provides wire leads for breadboarding? Failing that, I guess I could try to solder leads to the IC. But at 3mm x 3mm and 10 pins, I think that's next to impossible. Especially with my $15 soldering tool.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
For large complex parts (like FPGAs CPUs) you can get ZIF sockets but they cost a fortune.
Normally you make up a little adapter PCB board with 0.1 headers that mounts in the same way as a DIP package.

I also found these guys selling SMD prototype boards - but I don't have experience of them.http://protoboards.theshoppe.com/pcb_index.html

You can solder SMD with a regular iron, the trick is the correct flux and having everything really clean. The surface tension pulls the solder onto the pads.
 
mgb's link looks good. You can also do a google search on surf board prototype adapters.

I've never tried to solder SMT stuff with a cheap soldering iron, but it may work. I'd recommend using a Metcal soldering iron, if possible. They use RF heating and feedback to keep the tip temperature much better controlled.