• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Can some explain vector a+b must be great than a-b

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none this is conceptual

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is false because the direction can be + or -. can you explain to your thoughts

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

none this is conceptual

I believe this is false because the direction can be + or -. can you explain to your thoughts
It is certainly not true in general (not even for scalars). You would need to constrain a and b more to have something that was true.

Homework Equations

none this is conceptual

i think one should try checking the contention that addition of two vectors must be greater than subtraction - as it is true in case of scalars.

as vectors are having magnitude as well as direction -their addition and subtraction will result into a vector and its magnitude and direction will depend on the angular relation between them -
suppose the angle between them is 180 degree-then their addition will give you a vector which is smaller than the magnitude of a vector when you subtract one from another.

however if the angle between them is zero their addition will give you a vector larger than the result after taking a difference.
you can try taking an arbitrary angle between them and find the conditions for which the 'contention' holds or does not hold.

berkeman
Mentor
as it is true in case of scalars.
Is it? Not unless you constrain it to positive scalars...