Can some one check my work? Related Rates

In summary, we are given a problem involving a baseball diamond and a player running from first to second at a speed of 28 feet per second. We are asked to find the rate at which the distance from home plate changes when the player is 30 feet from second base. Using the given information and the equation 902 + y2=s2, we can solve for ds/dt and get an answer of 56/(√13) ft/sec.
nyr
The problem is:
For the baseball diamond in exercise 33, suppose the player is running from first to second at a speed of 28 feet per second. Find the rate at which the distance from home plate is changing when the player is 30 feet from second base.
(the picture basically shows a square with 90 ft sides)

Given: dy/dt = 28 ft/sec
Find: ds/dt when x=30

902y2=s2
0 +2y(dy/dt)=2s(ds/dt)
2(60)(28)=2(30√13)(ds/dt)
56/(√13) ft/sec=ds/dt

I'm not really sure if its the correct answer because I always seem to mix up negative signs and I wasnt sure if this required one.
If you really need to see the picture its found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=E5...he player is 30 feet from second base&f=false
Page 151 #34

Physics news on Phys.org
nyr said:
The problem is:
For the baseball diamond in exercise 33, suppose the player is running from first to second at a speed of 28 feet per second. Find the rate at which the distance from home plate is changing when the player is 30 feet from second base.
(the picture basically shows a square with 90 ft sides)

Given: dy/dt = 28 ft/sec
Find: ds/dt when x=30

902y2=s2
It looks like you left out the + sign on the left side. The equation should be
902 + y2=s2
nyr said:
0 +2y(dy/dt)=2s(ds/dt)
2(60)(28)=2(30√13)(ds/dt)
56/(√13) ft/sec=ds/dt
Looks fine to me.
nyr said:

I'm not really sure if its the correct answer because I always seem to mix up negative signs and I wasnt sure if this required one.
If you really need to see the picture its found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=E5...he player is 30 feet from second base&f=false
Page 151 #34

What is the purpose of having someone check my related rates work?

The purpose of having someone check your related rates work is to ensure that your calculations and solutions are correct. It can also help you identify any mistakes or errors that you may have made, and provide an opportunity for you to correct them before submitting your work.

Who is qualified to check my related rates work?

Ideally, someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in related rates problems should check your work. This could be a fellow classmate, a tutor, or your teacher/professor. It is important to seek help from someone who has a good understanding of the concept and can provide valuable feedback.

How should I present my work for someone to check?

You should present your work in a clear and organized manner. This includes showing all of your steps and calculations, labeling your variables, and properly formatting your equations. It is also helpful to include any given information and the problem statement for context.

What if the person checking my work finds mistakes?

If the person checking your work finds mistakes, it is important to carefully review and correct them. Take note of where you went wrong and try to understand the error. This will help you avoid making the same mistakes in the future and improve your understanding of related rates problems.

Is it okay to have someone check my work before submitting it?

Yes, it is completely acceptable and encouraged to have someone check your related rates work before submitting it. It shows that you are taking responsibility for your learning and striving for accuracy in your solutions. Just be sure to give credit to the person who checked your work, if applicable.