Can someone elp me with a couple of homework questions im having trouble with

In summary, if you want to aim a gun at a target 54.08 meters away, you need to aim it at an angle of 3.98 degrees radians.
inflames829

Homework Statement

A hunter aims directly at a target (on the same level) 54.08m away. If the bullet leaves the gun at a speed of 143.91 m/s then at what angle should the gun be aimed in order to hit the target? (answer in radians)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vx = Vcos theta, Vx/V cos-1 = theta
im pretty sure this is not the right way to do it but i just don't know how to start or what equations to use

Physics news on Phys.org
Involves projectile motion.

so I used this equation to y=v^2y0-v2y/2g. I rearanged it using the values i had to work out vy0, which i got 32.56, i used the distance as y and v2y as 0. Then i put that into this equation vy0=v0sin theta, to work out theta. I rearranged it to vy0/v0 sin-1 = theta, i used my value for vy0 and for v0 i used the velocity and got the answer 0.23. I then changed that to radians and got the answer 3.98E-3. But that is the wrong answer...What have I done wrong??

inflames829 said:
so I used this equation to y=v^2y0-v2y/2g.

Which equation is this? It does not appear to have the right dimensions. (The term on the left has units of length; the first term on the right has dimensions length^3/time^2.)

I rearanged it using the values i had to work out vy0, which i got 32.56,

I don't think you have enough information to find [itex]v_{0y}[/itex] yet. Once we find the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] that this problem is asking for, then you'll have [itex]v_{0y}=v_0 \sin\theta[/itex] (if [itex]\theta[/itex]) is the angle from the horizontal).

i used the distance as y and v2y as 0. Then i put that into this equation vy0=v0sin theta, to work out theta. I rearranged it to vy0/v0 sin-1 = theta, i used my value for vy0 and for v0 i used the velocity and got the answer 0.23. I then changed that to radians and got the answer 3.98E-3. But that is the wrong answer...What have I done wrong??

You have to keep track of motion separately in the horizontal (x) and vertical (y) direction.

In this problem, what is the displacement in the horizontal direction [itex]\Delta x[/itex]? in the vertical direction [itex]\Delta y[/itex]?

Once you have those, you may have a formula that your book derived for this special case. If so, you can calculate the angle with just that one formula.

(If you don't have this special case formula, then you can solve the problem directly using the kinematic equations for the x and y directions.)

i found this equation. R= v^2 sin 2 theta/g. If i put my values in there i get 2.23 x 10 ^4, the right answer is 1.28 x 10^-2. I am pretty sure this equation is the correct one, can you please give me hints on what I've done wrong?

Hi inflames829,

Yes, that is the correct question. (It is derived by setting [itex]\Delta y=0[/itex] for projectile motion with no air resistance, and so applies when that is true [itex]y_f=y_i[/itex].)

However, the answer you got is huge! The problem is asking for an angle to aim a gun, so it's looking for an answer whose magnitude is less than [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or about 1.6 or so (in radians). Did you solve your equation for theta? If so, please post what you actually put into the calculator.

ive got the right answer now. I realize what i did wrong. Thanks for the help though

1. How do I know if someone is qualified to help me with my homework questions?

A good way to determine if someone is qualified to help you with your homework questions is to ask for their qualifications or credentials. This could include their education background, work experience, or any relevant expertise in the subject area.

2. Will getting help with my homework questions be considered cheating?

No, seeking help with your homework questions is not considered cheating as long as you are using the assistance to better understand the material and complete the work on your own. It is important to make sure you are not simply copying someone else's answers.

3. How much should I pay someone to help me with my homework questions?

The cost of getting help with your homework questions will vary depending on the person's qualifications and the complexity of the questions. It is important to discuss payment with the person beforehand and come to a mutually agreed upon amount.

4. Is it okay to ask for help with just a couple of homework questions?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to ask for help with a few homework questions. It is important to make sure you are still putting effort into understanding the material and not relying solely on someone else's answers.

5. Where can I go to find someone to help me with my homework questions?

There are several options for finding someone to help you with your homework questions. You could ask a classmate, seek tutoring services, or use online resources such as forums or study groups. It is important to make sure the person you choose to help you is qualified and trustworthy.