Can someone explain how our LaTeX problems are possible?

In summary, there have been ongoing problems with LaTeX on Physics Forums for 10 months. The issue appears to be related to caching, as the problem persists across different browsers and operating systems. The service provider may be responsible for this caching, and it has been suggested that an exception be configured to resolve the issue. Additionally, some users have experienced strange behavior when previewing LaTeX images, with some images appearing correctly while others do not. The upcoming release of MathJax 1.1 is expected to solve these problems permanently.
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Physics Forums has had problems with LaTeX for 10 months now. I'm just wondering if someone can explain what's causing it, or at least how it's possible at all. The problem and some of my thoughts are summarized in this quote:

Fredrik said:
There's probably 20 threads about this already, but most of them just say that the workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview. It appears that we've had this problem since April 13, 2010. According to our LaTeX guy, chroot, nothing changed on the server around that time. The problem is essentially the same in all versions of all browsers, on all operating systems. This strongly suggests that the service provider started doing some weird caching around then. Has anyone been in contact with them? Maybe Greg just needs to ask them to configure an exception.

I don't know this web stuff well enough to know if something can be done on the server. Is it possible to configure the web server software to instruct proxies to not cache images?

It seems to me that something else must be wrong, in addition to the fact that somebody is caching something. How does a transparent proxy know what image to use from the cache? Isn't the image identified by a file name or something? When I previewed these four LaTeX images, I got the two images from my previous post instead of 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 were fine.

[tex]1[/tex]

[tex]2[/tex]

[tex]3[/tex]

[tex]4[/tex]

Can someone explain how that's possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik, I understand your frustration. What I can say is that once MathJax 1.1 is released from beta we will be begin seriously looking at switching over. This will solve the preview problems for good.

1. How is LaTeX used in scientific research?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is commonly used in scientific research to format and present documents such as research papers, presentations, and posters. It allows for precise control over the layout and formatting of text, equations, tables, and figures, making it a popular choice for writing and publishing scientific documents.

2. What are some common problems with using LaTeX?

Some common problems with using LaTeX include difficulty in learning the syntax and commands, issues with compatibility between different versions or packages, and occasional errors or bugs in the code. Additionally, because LaTeX is primarily used for scientific and technical writing, it may not have as many features or options for more creative or artistic document designs.

3. How can LaTeX problems be solved?

One way to solve LaTeX problems is to consult online resources such as forums or tutorials for guidance and solutions. Additionally, checking for updates or bug fixes for your version of LaTeX can help resolve any issues. If all else fails, reaching out to more experienced LaTeX users or seeking professional help may also be beneficial.

4. Why is LaTeX preferred over other word processing programs?

LaTeX is preferred over other word processing programs for scientific documents because it offers more control over the layout and formatting of text, equations, and figures. It also has specialized features for handling complex equations and referencing, making it a more efficient and accurate tool for scientific writing.

5. Can LaTeX be used for other types of documents besides scientific research?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for other types of documents besides scientific research. It can be used for any document that requires precise formatting and layout, such as resumes, newsletters, or even books. However, it may not be the best choice for documents that require a more creative or visually appealing design.