Can someone explain how they got this?

• Thread starter gvcalamike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, the conversation discusses using the conservation of energy or conservation of mechanical energy in problems involving a rolling object on an inclined surface. It is generally used when there is no collision involved. The relation between linear speed and angular speed is discussed, with the formula v = ωr being used to explain how 1/2 mv2 becomes 1/2mr2w2 and 1/2 Iw2 becomes 1/2 (1/2mr2)w2.
gvcalamike
The question was:

A solid cylinder or radius 10cm (.1m) and mass 12kg starts from rest and rolls without slipping a distance L=6m down a roof that is inclined at the angle 30 degrees. What is the angular speed of the cylinder about its center as it leaves the roof?

Step 1: I got the vertical height of the roof: (6.0m)sin 30 = 3m

.: I really don't know when to use the conservation of energy or conservation of mechanical energy, but it seems like most of the problems I've been working use them. Can someone explain when to use it? Nonetheless, I guessed here and here's what I did. Btw, I got the answer right after I got a hint.

Step 2: Going with my guess I did this:
Ki = 0
Ui = mgh = (12)(9.8)(3.0) = 352.8 J
Uf = 0

Okay, here's where I get confused. I can get Kf = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 Iw2 (w = omega). Then they used:
1/2 mr2w2 +1/2(1/2mr2)w2

So how does 1/2 mv2become 1/2mr2 w2

and 1/2 Iw2 become 1/2 (1/2mr2)w2
I have an idea, utilizing what you have at hand to come up with something, but I don't really understand how they came about.

So Kf would end up being (3/4)mr2w2 and I can solve it from here, but can anyone explain how Kf came about? Thanks

0+352.8 = 3/4mr2w2

Physics news on Phys.org
hi gvcalamike! :smile:

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
gvcalamike said:
… I really don't know when to use the conservation of energy or conservation of mechanical energy, but it seems like most of the problems I've been working use them. Can someone explain when to use it?

generally, we can use conservation of (mechanical) energy if there's no collision (or jerk) …

so if a body rolls or slides down a hill that curves gently to become horizontal, energy is conserved

but if the hill is straight, so that it meets the flat ground at a "corner", then the body collides with the ground, with a jerk, and energy is lost :wink:
So how does 1/2 mv2become 1/2mr2 w2

and 1/2 Iw2 become 1/2 (1/2mr2)w2

because v = ωr …

this is the rolling constraint, ie the relation between v and ω …

the instantaneous point of contact is stationary, but the c.o.m. is moving with speed v, so as a matter of geometry, the angular speed must be v/r :smile:

1. How can you explain your methodology for obtaining these results?

In order to obtain these results, I followed the scientific method. This involved making a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

2. What instruments or techniques did you use to gather this data?

The instruments and techniques used to gather this data depended on the specific research question. Some common instruments used in scientific studies include microscopes, spectrophotometers, and chromatography equipment. Techniques such as PCR, gel electrophoresis, and statistical analysis may also be used.

3. How did you ensure the accuracy and reliability of your findings?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of our findings, we used rigorous experimental design and control measures. This includes using multiple replicates, controlling variables, and using statistical analysis to determine significance. We also followed established protocols and standards in our field of research.

4. Can you explain any potential sources of error or limitations in your study?

Like any scientific study, there may be potential sources of error or limitations in our research. These could include biases in sample selection, confounding variables, or limitations of the instruments or techniques used. We acknowledge and discuss these limitations in our study and suggest areas for further research.

5. How do your results contribute to the overall understanding of this topic?

Our results contribute to the overall understanding of this topic by adding new insights or confirming existing knowledge. They may also raise new questions for further research. Our findings may be used to inform future studies or practical applications in the field, such as developing new treatments or technologies.