1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain the steps to me please

1. Jun 30, 2006 #1
    the question is if f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b). Suppose also that f(a)=g(a) and f'(x)<g'(x) for a<x<b. Prove that
    f(b)<g(b). The hint is to apply the mean value theorem to the function
    So assume that h=f-g. Since f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) the mean value theorem applies by which there has to be a number such that h(b)= h(b)-h(a)=h'(c)(b-a). Since h'(c)<0 then h'(c)(b-a)<0, so
    f(b)-g(b)=h(b)<0 and hence f(b)<g(b).
    in this explanation why is h(b)=h(b)-h(a) and why is h'(c)<O. :confused:

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a torrent of capital truths, and ourselves for an oracle, is inborn in us--Paul Valerey
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

h(a)=f(a)-g(a)=0, and h'(c)<0 since h'(x)=f'(x)-g'(x)<0 for all x between a and b.
  4. Jun 30, 2006 #3
    Please bear with me. I am new to calculus. Will be starting college in the fall and am learning now on my own. Thank you for your help status!!!!!!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?