Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can someone explain this equation for Reynolds' number?

1. Mar 25, 2017 #1
    The following is quoted from British Standard 6891:2015, the standard for the installation of domestic gas pipework:

"In the UK, the Reynolds number is taken to be equivalent to:
    25 043 x Q/d for natural gas; and
    83 955 x Q/d for LPG."

[Q = flow rate, cubic metre per hour, d = pipe diameter, mm]

In every internet source I've looked at, Reynolds' number is proportional to pipe diameter; in this BS 6891 formula it's inversely proportional. How can this be?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2
    I am not versed at all in fluid dynamics, but a brief scour of a few reliable (I believe( locations seemed to support that indeed the Re is proportional to the inverse cross-section area. This also makes sense, since less viscous material would flow 'better' in a wider pipe.

4. Mar 28, 2017 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Reynolds number Re = uL/ν can be re-written by substituting in an expression for the velocity u (say, Poiseulle flow) and integrating to obtain an expression in terms of the volume flow instead of the pressure gradient. When all is done, Re = 4Q/πνd for cylindrical pipes.

5. Mar 28, 2017 #4
    This equation is correct, but no integration is required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted