1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone explain to me the signs on this vector problem

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For drawing purposes, I'm just going to state the locations of the 2 points. Cable AB carries a tension of 12 kN. Point A=(0,0,70) m and point B=(35,-25,10) m.
    Find the corresponding force on point B as a vector.

okay now this part has me confused. I'm trying to find my r vector so I can get the unit vector out of that and multiply by the tension to get the corresponding force vector.

My question is do you do B-A or A-b to get the r vector? The only way I can match the signs in the book is to do A-B, but why would it be A-B instead of B-A?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2
    can someone also answer the question why the E field in the conductor w/ the 2 radius is 0? Shouldn't there be an e field due to the smaller conductor?

4. Sep 6, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The direction of the force on B has to point away from B. Tensions pull, they don't push. A-B points away from B. B-A doesn't.

5. Sep 6, 2011 #4
    oh thank you for explaining. r vector and force vector always point in same direction correct?

6. Sep 6, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I like my explanation better. Tension pulls. It should point AWAY from B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook