Can Someone Have Two Hearts and a Rare Heart Placement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heart
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
Raghav Gupta
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
76
can two +ve rhesus parents have a negative rh factor offspring?
Can a person have heart on right and two hearts?
I know it is rare.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
can two +ve rhesus parents have a negative rh factor offspring?
Can a person have heart on right and two hearts?
I know it is rare.
Positive rhesus can be ++ or +-. Two ++ parents cannot have an offspring with a negative blood group. Both parents need to have a -, as far as I know.

I don't know about 2 hearts, but there is a rare condition called 'dextrocardia' in which the heart is on the right side.
 
But one family was saying that the Rhesus factor of the parents were both positive but their offspring was having negative rh factor. Might be they are not telling truth or the blood test might have given some wrong report?
See this link of Google showing a girl having 2 hearts and a man.
https://www.google.co.in/#q=a+person+with+2+hearts
 
Thanks Raghav. I was actually going post the same question.
My dad himself is Rh -ve and both my grandparents are Rh+ve. I don't know how this is possible.
o
siddharth23 said:
Positive rhesus can be ++ or +-. Two ++ parents cannot have an offspring with a negative blood group. Both parents need to have a -, as far as I know.

Siddharth, sadly, your wrong about that, because both the parents need not have Rh-ve for their baby to be a Rh-ve. I'm Rh-ve and my moms Rh+ve. .This I can assure you.
 
Suraj M said:
Siddharth, sadly, your wrong about that, because both the parents need not have Rh-ve for their baby to be a Rh-ve. I'm Rh-ve and my moms Rh+ve. .This I can assure you.

Like I said, the + sign in your blood group isn't the only thing. It can be either ++, +- or --. Your mom must be +-. I'll check it up and let you know.
 
Oh wait!
I just found out.
A baby gets Rh+ve even if one of the acquired genes of the parents is of Rh+ve. so the Rh recessive is trumped by the dominant gene.
There is a possiblity for two Rh+ve parents to have a Rh-ve baby.
This is because, both parents might have a recessive Rh gene, but still expressed as Rh+ve due to the other gene.
so in a rare situation the recessive gene of both the parent's may be passed on to the baby, making him/her Rh-ve
 
So there's about ½ ×¼? chance that such a Rh-ve Baby results from 2 Rh+ve.
is -----------------⤴⤴⤴ right?
 
Last edited:
Suraj M said:
So there's about ½ ×¼? chance that such a Rh-ve Baby results from 2 Rh+ve.
is -----------------⤴⤴⤴ right?

It differes in every case. If the two parents are +- and +-, then the child can be-

1) ++ (complete dominance) 2) and 3) +- or -+ ( incomplete dominance) 4) --

Only in case number 4 will the offspring be Rh -ve. So 1/4th chance
 
Thanks to both of you for explaining more on rh factor, and my heart question is also answered. By the way I was asking that whether a person could have heart on right, just for a worldwide perspective as my grandfather has a heart on right side.
Sharing with you an incident :
The doctors would be confused when they would keep the stethoscope on left of my grandfather and wonder where the heart has gone, because they could not hear any heartbeats.:D
 
Oh nice and creepyo0).
Is that by any chance the same as pericardial reflection, its really rare.
 
siddharth23 said:
It differes in every case. If the two parents are +- and +-, then the child can be-

1) ++ (complete dominance) 2) and 3) +- or -+ ( incomplete dominance) 4) --

Only in case number 4 will the offspring be Rh -ve. So 1/4th chance
No, siddharth, I was trying to multiply the probability of both the parents being of +- . How do you do that??
 
Suraj M said:
Is that by any chance the same as pericardial reflection, its really rare.
Don't know about pericardial reflection, but
siddharth23 said:
there is a rare condition called 'dextrocardia' in which the heart is on the right side.