1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help explain me a problem?

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sphere of radius R has a charge Q distributed uniformly over its surface. How large
    a sphere contains 90 percent of the energy stored in the electrostatic field of this charge
    distribution?

2. Relevant equations

U= 1/8pi integral E^2dv.

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to derive that the energy to assemble a shell is Q^2/2R. The problem is idk what kind of sphere they are talking about? Do they mean a hollow sphere or one with a charge density?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think they mean solid sphere because otherwise they would say hollow sphere in the question.

So you have to compute the energy in the initial sphere, take 90% of it and then use it to get a new radius, right?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    I guess it is a solid one. The thing that confused me was that the initial sphere has to be hollow because there is no charge density on the inside just on the surface. Thus I know I can treat that as a shell.

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    Solid or hollow the charge is on the surface only.

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

It could be that they mean what size of a spherical volume of space surrounding the charged sphere contains 90% of the energy of the field. So the "sphere" would be insubstantial, like a Gaussian surface, a designated boundary.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    I think I understand now thanks a lot gneill I'll post my answer tmr. I'm pretty tired from working all day.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook