Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone identify what this is in the sky below the moon.

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

It appears that you are seeing some really bad internal reflections/lens flare. Nothing special.

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    its not lens flare or anything to do with the lens. i can garentee you that.. i took about 40 photos that night.. and only two came out with that wierd stuff showing up... and ive done research and i found out its caused by some sort atmospheric condition. im trying to find the name of it.

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

It's obviously some sort of reflection, in that the three brightest lights in the lower left of the picture are opposite those white marks on the upper right, and a slightly less bright light with an orange tinge matches the more orange-coloured mark below the middle white one on the right. If you rotate the picture by a half turn (or flip it vertically then horizontally) those marks match the locations of the lights.

6. Aug 7, 2012 #5
    Jonathan clearly called it. NB how lines connecting the lights and the flares cross right in the centre:

4vo6ra.jpg

7. Aug 7, 2012 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So, you were expecting aliens, maybe ?

8. Aug 7, 2012 #7
    no wasnt aliens.. i was told by national geographic thats its atmospheric conditions thats doing it.. like an effect like northern lights. so was just trying to find out what it is

9. Aug 7, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

It is internal reflection your lens and some asymmetric flare. There is nothing in "atmospheric conditions" that can produce those arrow-head artifacts.

10. Aug 7, 2012 #9

Dotini

Gold Member

"Top" or "spindle-shaped" or "upside-down ice cream cone" would be the more usual term applied to these objects. Terms often used to describe UFOs or unusual atmospheric effects. I hold electromagnetic effects in common between these phenomena, and cannot exclude that sort of explanation. Was the Nat Geo explanation given by their atmospheric folks, or their UFO Chasers comedy team?

Respectfully,
    Steve

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  11. Aug 7, 2012 #10
    While this could be many things including a fake. It reminds me of the sort of atmospheric disturbance caused by intentionally tuned super heated gasses exahusted at extreme supersonic speeds.

12. Aug 7, 2012 #11
    It also reminds me of high speed re-entry shock waves. Did anyone see it form? For the guys that think that the things line up with the lights on the ground,,, A big NO there. I not only study physics and psychology; I am also an artist and have a very finely tuned eye for perspective (among otherthings) and these things do not line up even close on the ground. If you enlarge a picture the errors are magnified in any kind picture. If I can see that the lines are just slightly out of allignment at the scale seen on your monitor and you enlarge it the lines will become more and more out of line and loose perspective more and more as the image gets bigger. If you add to that that a picture looses definition with enlargment hopefully you will realize that the light lining up theory does not work. Also the lines postulated here do not line up with center or core of the objects.

13. Aug 7, 2012 #12
    Pics need higher definition also.

14. Aug 7, 2012 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Drats! I have a picture at home I took of my brother about 35 years ago with a similar lens flare above his head. I believe it was taken on Point Loma, facing a setting sun.

15. Aug 7, 2012 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've taken thousands of pictures, and have only had a single lens flare that caught my eye. What kind of camera/lens setup were you using to "guarantee us" that it's not?

16. Aug 7, 2012 #15

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I am really bad with scanners/computers nowadays, so this is the best I can do for now:

spritehead.jpg

Freakin' lens sprite landed right on his head.

How weird was that!

Or were aliens sucking the aura out of his brain that day...........:tongue2:

Cannon A-1, with a 50 mm lens.

17. Aug 8, 2012 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok. For some reason my scanner/mac decided they would work....

sprite2pointoh.jpg

~1979

18. Aug 8, 2012 #17
    That looks more like a problem with the film.

19. Aug 8, 2012 #18
    I used to work for the government and later with the government. We have many "things" that do amazing stuff. Not so amazing if you know what they are and what they do.

20. Aug 8, 2012 #19
    I don't believe in aliens; however, if one were to pop up and say hi I might believe then.

21. Aug 8, 2012 #20

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Here on Physics Forums when we post statements like the above our rules say some source reference should be included. So, rickylritter, who has worked both for and with the "government", will you please explain why you are reminded of "intentionally tuned super heated gasses exahusted at extreme supersonic speeds"? Where have you seen these images before?

Regards,
    Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook