Can someone please delete my account?

• Thread starter cmcc3119
  • Start date
In summary, Cristo is asking for advice on how to close his account on here, and claims that he has not cheated in any way. He does not feel comfortable posting on here anymore because he has received negative responses.
cmcc3119
I would like to close my account on here, can someone please advise me how to do so.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't, in general, close accounts without good reason. I can, however, ban you if you want.

But it is my account... I opened it, I should be allowed to close it...
Any other forum would respect the wishes of its user in a matter such as this, and what I am asking does not impede the forum at all...

If for some reason you can't find anyway to delete it, I would rather not be banned thanks.

Likes balahsnskkalla
cmcc3119 said:
But it is my account... I opened it, I should be allowed to close it...

When you open an account here, you agree to adhere to the PF rules (which you agreed to when you signed up, and are displayed in the link "rules" above).

If you don't wish to post here anymore, then just don't post!

Well it is ridiculous that you force people to still hold an account on here. What a friendly place! Is it just so you can get member numbers? Anyway, Cristo, thanks for pointing that out to me have a nice day :)

Likes Ponderer
What do you want to accomplish by having your account deleted, as opposed to simply not using it any more?

Not getting in trouble from my uni tutor for asking for help with assignment questions...

cmcc3119 said:
Not getting in trouble from my uni tutor for asking for help with assignment questions...

This is one reason why we don't delete accounts. We do not encourage students to cheat, and allowing accounts to be deleted once they have received help would be giving such encouragement!

cristo said:
This is one reason why we don't delete accounts. We do not encourage students to cheat, and allowing accounts to be deleted once they have received help would be giving such encouragement!

Cristo, thanks, but please don't jump to conculsions and accuse me of something I have not done. I HAVE NOT CHEATED IN ANY WAY AND DID NOT INTEND TO USE THIS FORUM FOR THAT. If you look at my previous posts you would realize that! I have only ever asked for help with questions that I have attempted and done most of the work for. Even then, the responses I did receive were not necessarily helpful! My tutor merely warned me that others have been accused of cheating by using such forums, thus why I want to clear my name account etc of any association so there is no way that will happen to me even though I have not actually received answers on here. The tone of your response sounds like you want to push me off here anyway! unbelievable that this has caused such a fuss.

cmcc3119 said:
Cristo, thanks, but please don't jump to conculsions and accuse me of something I have not done. I HAVE NOT CHEATED IN ANY WAY AND DID NOT INTEND TO USE THIS FORUM FOR THAT. If you look at my previous posts you would realize that! I have only ever asked for help with questions that I have attempted and done most of the work for. Even then, the responses I did receive were not necessarily helpful! My tutor merely warned me that others have been accused of cheating by using such forums, thus why I want to clear my name account etc of any association so there is no way that will happen to me even though I have not actually received answers on here. The tone of your response sounds like you want to push me off here anyway! unbelievable that this has caused such a fuss.
Whether you were cheating or not is a matter for your academic institution to decide and is not the primary issue here. If you are accused of cheating then your academic institution may visit PF and view all your previous post and decide whether you were cheating. However, if PF were to delete your account, then your academic institution has no way to decide if you were actually cheating on not. In this was, PF could be seen to be condoning cheating.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you obey your institution's guidelines on assignments, we cannot enforce guidelines imposed by individual institutions since we have no knowledge of what they are! If you were unsure as to whether help was permitted you should have enquired with your instructor before posting here:
Physics Forums Global Guidelines said:
Every school and instructor has their own policies or honor codes on what constitutes cheating, and it is up to the individual student to adhere to those policies when seeking help here. If you are in doubt as to whether you are permitted to seek help, consider erring on the side of caution and not asking for help.
If you are innocent as you say you are, then you have nothing to worry about as your instructor can come here and see that you weren't cheating.

Hootenanny said:
However, if PF were to delete your account, then your academic institution has no way to decide if you were actually cheating on not. In this was, PF could be seen to be condoning cheating.

This is what I meant, however Hootenanny said it more succinctly.

Along the lines of what Hoot mentioned, I'd recommend showing one's tutor one's post on PF, and perhaps getting approval of one's tutor or institution to use PF as needed.

cmcc3119 said:

Your university tutor? Exactly how would he or she penalize you? There are many ways of cheating , in fact university tutors do give you the answers to homework in a sense by arriving at the answers with you - I used to be one - giving and getting answers to homework questions is technically not the issue. You are not in grade school anymore right? Your grade is going to depend mostly on tests. TAs and professors do not reprimand you for getting answers online except for the point that you are not going to learn anything and thus are not going to do well on tests. Keep your account here ... you may need it in the future.

cmcc3119 said:
My tutor merely warned me that others have been accused of cheating by using such forums …

Hi cmcc3119! :smile:

Some other forums are like that, but PF is not.

Your tutor should look at PF, and particularly the 1. 2. 3. homework format, and praise PF for its ethical policy.

I suspect this is just your tutor's personal opinion, and that if you go higher up you will find that your uni has no such policy. :smile:

http://www.theeyeopener.com/article/3816

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:

:bugeye: That's ridiculous! I'd LOVE to see my students coming here for study help. If you follow our guidelines, show your own efforts first, and only receive guidance, not answers, on assignments or problem sets for which you are allowed to ask for additional help, then there should be no reason to worry about using our homework forums. Many of us here ARE educators, and understand why this is a problem on other forums, and that's why we're so strict about the guidelines here.

Borek said:
I'd say that we'd have to know more. He says that *he* personally didn't post answers, but it doesn't say that answers weren't posted. I'm sure there is much more to this.

Offtopic (seemingly), but want to let the powers that be know that I'm playing around with bug**not accounts for a bit to check stuff out (eg. make sure all the recommended accounts are already banned, etc.). Hope I don't get myself banned in the process.

Heh heh, I know what that censored word says, but oddly the censoring makes it look as if it says something dirty when it doesn't.

Gokul43201 said:
Offtopic (seemingly), but want to let the powers that be know that I'm playing around with bug**not accounts for a bit to check stuff out (eg. make sure all the recommended accounts are already banned, etc.). Hope I don't get myself banned in the process.

I try to check them on a regular basis and catch any that haven't already given themselves away. Obviously, some got through recently when I wasn't checking, but they're gone now...it was time for them to bug OFF. :biggrin:

I honestly don't understand why people want accounts deleted. Why bother signing up if you know you'll eventually want to delete the account?

Glad to know those sites are being monitored. I didn't know they existed until recently. *is naive*

Kurdt said:
I honestly don't understand why people want accounts deleted. Why bother signing up if you know you'll eventually want to delete the account?
This site comes pretty high on google rankings. if you used your real name your posts here show up. I suppose you could want to hide that you posted HW or exam questions.

Personally there's a few cosmology brain-farts I might want to delete ;-)

I would also like to delete my account. The reason: I have been treated in an aggressive and hostile way by the PF editors, I don't want my information to be held here.

I may take legal action if you don't fulfill my requirement.

Best regards.

Likes Bonulo
jrlaguna said:
I would also like to delete my account. The reason: I have been treated in an aggressive and hostile way by the PF editors, I don't want my information to be held here.

Best regards.

The PF rules which you explicitely agreed to state that:

Neither member accounts nor a member's posts will be deleted on demand. It is up to the discretion of the forum owners and admins. Posts are for everyone's benefit and should be thought of as permanent.

So no, we will not delete your account nor your posts.

However, if you wish that we ban your account, then we can do that. Do you want us to ban your account?

jrlaguna said:

Best regards.

I'm sorry, but this post just made me crack up. Let's go over it.

jrlaguna said:

First, you provide no proof or even explanation of how you were treated in an "aggressive and hostile manner". (And no, this post doesn't count, I ain't a PF editor) You just say "I'm being treated badly! Now take my word for it without proof!" It's laughable. And as for not wanting your information to be held here, well, you should have read the user rules, huh? I always laugh at people who don't bother to read those pesky rules.

HA! Good luck trying to convince a lawyer to take up a case against a private forum where the rules you agreed to specifically put you on the losing side! That's just hilarious!

Best regards.

Well, at least it ends well. Best regards to you as well!

The issue seems to be resolved.

1. What happens when my account is deleted?

When your account is deleted, all of your personal information and data associated with the account will be permanently removed from the system. This includes profile information, posts, comments, and any other data that you have shared on the platform.

2. Can I recover my account after it has been deleted?

No, once an account has been deleted, it cannot be recovered. It is important to carefully consider your decision before requesting to delete your account.

3. How long does it take for my account to be deleted?

The time it takes for your account to be deleted may vary depending on the platform's policies and procedures. In some cases, it may be deleted immediately, while in others it may take a few days for the request to be processed.

4. Will deleting my account also delete my posts and comments?

Yes, when your account is deleted, all of your posts and comments will also be removed from the platform. This is to ensure that your personal information and data are completely removed from the system.

5. Can I request to have my account deleted for privacy reasons?

Yes, you have the right to request for your account to be deleted for privacy reasons. However, it is important to note that some platforms may have certain policies and procedures in place that may affect your ability to delete your account. It is best to review the platform's terms and conditions before making a request to delete your account.