Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I delete my account?

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    I wish to cancel my membership and delete my account. Please do so or tell me how.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Maybe send me a PM to let me know why you want to delete your account? You seem happy in your recent posts...

4. Nov 23, 2016 #3

Borek

In general we don't delete accounts, that's part of the forum rules.

5. Nov 23, 2016 #4

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've felt the same way as you, many times, over the years.

But, in spite of much opinionated nonsense, which made me cringe, and want to put an ice pick into my brain, I knew, that there was probably not a better cyberplace to hang out.

ps. I'm now following you on Facebook, if that's any consolation, to my somewhat "contrarian" post.

6. Nov 24, 2016 #5

Drakkith

It's also standard procedure on every forum I've ever been on. Forum posts are kept for years, so it's important that the posts are kept intact and the members named, even if they are no longer participation. Deleting an account would entail either deleting all of a user's posts, which would fragment threads and make them useless, or removing the member's name, which would make it difficult to follow thread conversations. So while we can ban members, we typically do not delete their accounts.

Note that the PF gold membership is not mandatory. No one should feel obligated to go gold. The only benefit is the removal of ads from the site and the fact that you're supporting the forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook