How to delete one's own question? Mentors?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
nomadreid
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Homework Statement: Had a question about Markov chains, but found the answer before anyone answered. I can't find out how to delete the post. Mentors, please help. Thank you, with my apologies.
Homework Equations: Markov chains

These were my questions, asked by someone else on another forum
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2604935/expected-value-of-flips-until-hht-consecutivelyhttps://math.stackexchange.com/questions/816140/why-is-the-expected-number-coin-tosses-to-get-hth-is-10Sorry, I didn't look well enough the first time. Mentors, please delete.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
Just use the "Report" feature to bring any post to the attention of the Mentors.

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
An alternative would be to answer your own question by posting the links you found in the thread. This way, the thread can be useful to others who may have the same question in the future.

nomadreid
Gold Member
Thanks, Doc Al and Ygggdrasil. I shall do that if I am ever again so careless. o:) Um, Doc Al, two questions: (a) you're a mentor. Can you delete? (b) Where is the "Report" feature? I don't see it.

Doc Al
Mentor
Thanks, Doc Al and Ygggdrasil. I shall do that if I am ever again so careless. o:) Um, Doc Al, two questions: (a) you're a mentor. Can you delete? (b) Where is the "Report" feature? I don't see it.
(a) Yes, any Mentor can delete a post. (We do so rarely, of course.)
(b) Move your mouse around the post and the "report" option will appear underneath, to the left of the "like" button.

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
When I post something by mistake, or figure out the answer (which was actually trivial) soon after posting, I answer my own thread with a post "REQUESTED DELETION - PLEASE DON'T REPLY", or add this as the first line of the OP. This alerts other users so that they don't invest their valuable time in a thread that is destined for deletion. Then I use the Report button and request a deletion.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
report.jpg

Zz.

OCR
You can remove your post this way, also. . .

DeletePost.PNG

1569748784587.png

You don't have to type in a reason, just click "Delete".

Wrichik Basu
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
You can remove your post this way, also. . .

View attachment 250365

View attachment 250366

You don't have to type in a reason, just click "Delete".
That works for deleting posts, not threads. (I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators, and that is why the system asks for a reason for deletion. Some mod has to confirm this..)

OCR
I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators. . .

Yes, they are. . . but still, you need not give a reason for deletion. . 🤐

It could be considered as a courtesy, to provide a reason, though. . .?

Last edited:
That works for deleting posts, not threads. (I believe those deleted posts are still visible to the moderators, and that is why the system asks for a reason for deletion. Some mod has to confirm this..)
Yes, deleted posts and threads are visible to the mentors.
As far as deleting your own post is concerned, as long as you do it within a certain time (*), you can do so, with or without giving a reason. We mentors don't confirm deletions. If you type in a reason, it will show up as the reason for deletion, which is something we mentors can see, but probably not regular members.

* - I don't know what the time allowed is, 20 minutes? It has changed a few times since I've been a mentor, and I haven't kept track of how long this window is.