Can someone see if this is the right way to do? First time taking physics

In summary: Specifically, we divide the frequency by 4 when we quadruple the wavelength.For part 2, you didn't really answer the question. They want you to use the formula n=c/v to find the value of n when v=2.25 x 10^8 m/s. So you should have n=3/2.25 = 4/3.For part 3, you have to use the formula again, but this time for two different values of θ. You were given θ2 = 90, and you have to find θ1. But you only used the formula for θ1. This formula lets you find θ1 if you are given θ2
sammy852

Homework Statement

1. If v is constant, how does f change if λ quadruples?
2. c is equal to 3x10^8 m/s. What is the value of n if v equals 2.25 x 10^8 m/s
3. If n2 is greater than n1, is Ө1 greater than, less than, or equal to Ө2? Prove using third equation.
4. Assuming Ө2 is 90 degrees, write an expression for Ө1 in terms of n1 and n2.

Homework Equations

v=λf
n=c/v
n1sinӨ1=n2sinӨ2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First one I plug in random number leaving the constant the same for both, and using 1 for initial equation and 4 for quadruple second equation. Thus, I got 20 first time and 5 second. time SO it GOT SMALLER
2. 3x10^8/2.25x10^8 = N=4/3
3. I have no clue, I plug in 4 for n2 and 2 for n1. Rather or not theta was bigger was confusing...
4. I got sin theta1= n2*sin90/n1...

Physics news on Phys.org
sammy852 said:

Homework Statement

1. If v is constant, how does f change if λ quadruples?
2. c is equal to 3x10^8 m/s. What is the value of n if v equals 2.25 x 10^8 m/s
3. If n2 is greater than n1, is Ө1 greater than, less than, or equal to Ө2? Prove using third equation.
4. Assuming Ө2 is 90 degrees, write an expression for Ө1 in terms of n1 and n2.

Homework Equations

v=λf
n=c/v
n1sinӨ1=n2sinӨ2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. First one I plug in random number leaving the constant the same for both, and using 1 for initial equation and 4 for quadruple second equation. Thus, I got 20 first time and 5 second. time SO it GOT SMALLER
2. 3x10^8/2.25x10^8 = N=4/3
3. I have no clue, I plug in 4 for n2 and 2 for n1. Rather or not theta was bigger was confusing...
4. I got sin theta1= n2*sin90/n1...

The third formula says:

n1sinӨ1 = n2sinӨ2

Since the product n.sinθ is a constant, if n becomes larger, sinθ must become smaller. Since the angles here have 0 ≤ θ ≤ 90, if sinθ is smaller, then θ is smaller.
SO if n2 > n1 then Ө2 < Ө1

For part 4. don't forget that we know the exact value for sin90.

sammy852 said:
SO it GOT SMALLER

They probably want you to be more specific, and say that it got smaller by a factor of 4.

1. Can you see if my approach to this physics problem is correct?

As a scientist, I can provide guidance and feedback on your approach, but ultimately, the best way to determine if your solution is correct is to check it against the answer or ask your physics teacher for confirmation.

2. How can I tell if I am on the right track with my physics problem?

One way to gauge if you are on the right track is to check if your answer makes sense and aligns with known principles and equations. You can also ask for feedback from your teacher or a peer.

3. Is there a specific format or method I should follow for solving physics problems?

While there are various problem-solving techniques, it is important to understand and apply the fundamental principles and equations relevant to the problem. As long as your solution is logical and accurate, the format or method you use is not as crucial.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice and reviewing mistakes are key to improving problem-solving skills in physics. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to reinforce your understanding of concepts and equations.

5. I am struggling with understanding the concepts in physics. What can I do?

If you are having difficulty grasping the concepts in physics, it may be helpful to seek extra help from a teacher, tutor, or peer. Additionally, breaking down the concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and practicing regularly can also aid in understanding.