Can someone tell me how to do an integral of this form?

In summary: Use a u-substitution by letting u=e^x+1. Then solve for dx in terms of u and du. After this substitution, expand by partial fractions and use the natural logarithm to evaluate the integrals. If you are confused about how to execute these steps or need to see these steps actually written out, just let me know.remember that \frac{du}{dx}=e^{x}=u-1\to{dx}=\frac{du}{u-1}remember that \frac{du}{dx}=e^{x}=u-1\to{dx}=\frac{du}{u-1}.
AxiomOfChoice
The integral looks something like this:

[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{e^x+1}.
[/tex]

I'm interested in seeing the technique one should employ in analytically determining this indefinite integral, so please...no smart-alec answers like "put it in Mathematica." I tried that, and it wasn't particularly illuminating. Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:

[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{e^x+1}.
[/tex]

I'm interested in seeing the technique one should employ in analytically determining this indefinite integral, so please...no smart-alec answers like "put it in Mathematica." I tried that, and it wasn't particularly illuminating. Thanks. :smile:

Am i being a smart alec if I ask if you tried an integral table? :smile: I found it in mine. I'll think about how to solve it without a table.

AxiomOfChoice said:
[tex]
\int \frac{dx}{e^x+1}.
[/tex]

Use a u-substitution by letting [itex]u=e^x+1[/itex]. Then solve for dx in terms of u and du. After this substitution, expand by partial fractions and use the natural logarithm to evaluate the integrals. If you are confused about how to execute these steps or need to see these steps actually written out, just let me know.

remember that [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=e^{x}=u-1\to{dx}=\frac{du}{u-1}[/tex]

arildno said:
remember that [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=e^{x}=u-1\to{dx}=\frac{du}{u-1}[/tex]

This is exactly what I had already posted.

The integrand is also equivalent to 1 - [e^x / (e^x + 1)]. Then note that differentiating the denominator of [e^x / (e^x + 1)] gives e^x, which is the numerator.

n!kofeyn said:
This is exactly what I had already posted.
At least, that is definitely what your post implied!

I merely thought to give the OP an additional hint. :smile:

Another way to do it is to write

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{e^x+1} = \int \frac{e^{-x}}{1 + e^{-x}} \,dx.[/tex]

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a certain interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is typically used in calculus.

How do I know if I can integrate a certain function?

There are certain rules and techniques that can be applied to determine if a function is integrable. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is best to consult a math textbook or seek guidance from a math teacher or tutor.

What is the process for integrating a function of a certain form?

The process for integrating a function depends on its form. Generally, you will need to identify the type of function you are working with and then apply the appropriate integration technique. It is important to carefully follow the steps and be familiar with the integration rules and formulas.

Can someone tell me how to evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you will need to first find the antiderivative of the function and then plug in the upper and lower limits of integration. This will give you a numerical value for the integral. It is important to remember to include the units of measurement when evaluating a definite integral.

Are there any tricks or tips for solving integrals?

There are various tips and tricks that can make solving integrals easier. Some common ones include using symmetry to simplify the integral, breaking down the integral into smaller parts, and recognizing patterns or trigonometric identities. It is helpful to practice solving different types of integrals to become more familiar with these techniques.