1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the crystal particle expand?

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

With increasing the temperature, can the crystal particle expand? Actually, what really happen to the structure when increase the temperature? Why its look bigger size compare to actual size. Does it mean the crystal of particle expand? or something happen to the particle? Can you explain for me what actually happen?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is a "crystal particle", what is its "actual size" (compared to what), and where does it look bigger?

Crystals (usually) expand a bit if they get hot. With increasing energy, the average distance between atoms increases, which can be seen at their potential function.

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3
    what i know. the crystals didnt expand. The distance of atoms vibrate and away from each others when increasing the energy. that why the size look bigger. may i right sir? i also still confuse about that. i did an experiment about plasma sputtering now, and i am realize that the size of grain will be increase with increasing the temperature. i dont know the truth theories of the crystal growth?
    Thank for explaining that sir.

5. Jun 24, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For me, it is hard to understand your posts.

As I posted, most crystals increase their size a bit if the temperature increases. The difference is small - you do not see it, you need some measurement tools for that.

Crystal growth is something different.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted