1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[PoM] Electrons Fermi level in a crystal

1. Feb 3, 2017 #1

BRN

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The conduction band of a hypothetical crystal of one-dimensional Cesium reticular with step a=300 pm (1 atom per cell) is characterized by the ε dispersion law
    ##\epsilon (k) = V_0 + \frac{\hbar^2}{m_e}(\frac{1}{2}k^2 - \frac{a}{3\pi}|k|^3##
    where ##V_0 = -4 eV##, is set so that the energy of a stationary electron in a vacuum on the outside of the crystal appears ε = 0. At zero temperature, determine the position of the Fermi level of the electrons of this crystal (one electron per atom in the conduction band) and the value of the work function. A finite temperature (but small compared to the Fermi temperature) the chemical potential is greater or less than the Fermi level?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Fermi energy level is the highest occupied level in an fermions system at T=0. The dispersion law describes the shape of the conduction band and the Fermi level corresponds to ##\epsilon (k_F)##.
    Then, I determine density of states ##g(k)## differentiating with respect k the number of states with wave vector ≥ k (which corresponds to the volume of a sphere of radius
    ##|\vec{n}|=\frac{V^{1/3}}{2\pi}|\vec{k}|##

##g(k)=g_s\frac{d}{dk}(\frac{4}{3}\pi \frac{V}{8\pi^3}k^3=g_s\frac{V}{2\pi}k^2##

Total number of electrons is:

##N=\int_{0}^{k_F}g(k) dk=\int_{0}^{k_F}g_s\frac{V}{2\pi}k^2 dk=g_s\frac{V}{6\pi^2}k_F^3##

with ##g_s=2##, I have:

##k_F=(3\pi^2\frac{N}{V})^{1/3}##

Crystaline structure is an simple cubic cell, then

##\frac{N}{V}=\frac{1/8*8}{a^3}=\frac{1}{a^3}##

so, ##k_F=1.0312*10^{10}[m^{-1}]##

and ##\epsilon (k_F)=-4.1704*10^{-19}[J]=-2.6023[eV]##

Work function is the minimum energy for extract an electron from metal and is the opposite of Fermi energy:

##W=-\epsilon (k_F)=2.6023[eV]##

Solutions: ##\epsilon_F = -3.304 eV##; W = 3.304 eV; μ remains constant (neither increases nor decreases), since the band dispersion happens to be symmetric around the Fermi point.

What is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this exercise, you are dealing with a hypothetical one-dimensional crystal. So, what is the dimension of the corresponding k-space?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Feb 5, 2017 #3

BRN

k-space is one-dimensional too, I think...

But, at this point, I can not understand how to proceed...
    In one-demensional case how to calculate ##k_F##?

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

You will need to consider the allowed values of k for the 1D case. Then you can find g(k).

6. Feb 6, 2017 #5

BRN

In 1-D case are allowed values of ##k=\pm n \frac{\pi}{a}##
    Then:

##|n|=\frac{a}{\pi}k##

but, if I derive it with respect to k, I lose the dependence on k...

7. Feb 6, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not quite correct. Instead of ##a## , shouldn't the relevant distance be the length ##L## of the crystal?

Also, it is important to specify the type of boundary conditions that you are using. Since you are allowing ##k## to be both positive and negative, it appears that you are using periodic boundary conditions. You have to be very careful not to be off by a factor of 2 somewhere.

For the 1D case, g(k) is independent of k.

8. Feb 6, 2017 #7

BRN

Sorry but, I'm lost...

I have a dispersion law depends on k and Fermi level is ##\epsilon_F(k=k_F)##.
    If in 1-D case the density of states is independent of k, then g(k) what would be the use?

9. Feb 6, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Even though g(k) is independent of k, you can still formally use g(k) to find kF just as you would for 3D (see your integral for N in your first post ). However, in the 1D case, it is easy to find ##k_F## without introducing g(k) once you have the correct allowed values for ##k## in terms of the integer ##n## and the length ##L## of the crystal. Note that ##L = Na##, which is helpful if you want to express ##k_F## in terms of ##a##.

10. Feb 7, 2017 #9

BRN

Ok, maybe I understood.

In 1-D case are allowed value of ##k=n\frac{\pi}{L}## with ##n=\pm 1; \pm 2; \pm 3; ...##
    I determine the density of states g(k) differentiating with respect k the number of states with wave vector ≥ k, that corresponds to portion of the length

##n=\frac{L}{\pi}k##

##g(k)=g_s\frac{d}{dk}(\frac{L}{\pi}k)=g_s\frac{2L}{\pi}##

with ##g_s=2 \rightarrow## 2 values of spin allower for each k.

Now, number of states within in Fermi region is:

##N=\int_{0}^{k_F}g(k) dk=\int_{0}^{k_F}\frac{2L}{\pi} dk=\frac{2L}{\pi}k_F##

##\Rightarrow k_F=\frac{N}{L}\frac{\pi}{2}##

There is one atom for cell, so (##L=Na##):

##\frac{N}{L}=\frac{N}{Na}=\frac{1}{a}##

then,

##k_F=\frac{\pi}{2a}##

From dispersion law, Fermi level is:

##\epsilon(k=k_F)=V_0+ \frac{\hbar^2}{m_e}(\frac{1}{2}k_F^2 - \frac{a}{3\pi}|k_F|^3)=-6.3999*10^{-19}[J]=-3.9935 [eV]##

and the work function is:

##W=-\epsilon(k_F)=3.9935 [eV]##

I'm closer to the solution.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted