Can the human body produce EMPs?

In summary, the human body does not produce electromagnetic pulses or discharges. The release of accumulated sexual excitement, or an orgasm, is a complex biological process involving chemical neurotransmitters and nerve impulses, but it is not related to any type of EMP. The body's electrical activity is too low to be considered an EMP and cannot be measured or detected in the same way as traditional EMPs.
ProjectFringe
I'm sure this is a strange question, but I am really curious as to whether the human body can produce electromagnetic pulses. And particularly, whether an orgasm is a type of EMP.

Wikipedia says an orgasm is "a sudden discharge of accumulated sexual excitement". So is this discharge of "energy" an electric or electromagnetic pulse?

The reason I am curious about this is because I have the ability to produce similar types of "energetic discharges" in other places throughout my body, but I have no idea what it is exactly.

Lastly, if it is possible to produce some type of EMP in the body, would it be possible to measure or detect it in some way when it occurs?

• Haha
Likes davenn
Engineering news on Phys.org
ProjectFringe said:
I'm sure this is a strange question, but I am really curious as to whether the human body can produce electromagnetic pulses.
No.

ProjectFringe said:
And particularly, whether an orgasm is a type of EMP.
Absolutely not.

ProjectFringe said:
The reason I am curious about this is because I have the ability to produce similar types of "energetic discharges" in other places throughout my body, but I have no idea what it is exactly.
I have no idea what this means. The human body uses electricity and electrical energy only in the form of the movement of ions in, out, and between cells, along with the transfer of electrons in things like the electron transport chain in cellular respiration. Even nerve impulses are simply a rapid transfer of ions that ripples down the neuronal axons. There are no other 'energetic discharges' produced by the human body that I'm aware of.

ProjectFringe said:
Lastly, if it is possible to produce some type of EMP in the body, would it be possible to measure or detect it in some way when it occurs?
Symptoms of EMP generation include radio and microwave communications interference, damage to nearby electrical equipment, and intermittent headaches (ok not really).
But seriously, it would be utterly trivial to detect a biologically generated EMP. A simple radio receiver would record low-moderate intensity bursts, and the radio's destroyed, smoking circuit board components would indicate a high intensity burst.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes ProjectFringe and Tom.G
There is plenty of electrical activity in our bodies (think all EEG, ECG types of medical tests, they just measure changes in potential at some points), but the energies/currents/voltages involved are way too low for the EMP in a typical meaning of the term ("strong enough to interfere with other devices").

Likes ProjectFringe
Drakkith said:
The human body uses electricity and electrical energy only in the form of the movement of ions in, out, and between cells, along with the transfer of electrons in things like the electron transport chain in cellular respiration. Even nerve impulses are simply a rapid transfer of ions that ripples down the neuronal axons. There are no other 'energetic discharges' produced by the human body that I'm aware of.
Is there any way which is more scientific to understand "a sudden discharge of accumulated sexual excitement"? Specifically, what is the "accumulated sexual excitement"?

Again this is not referring to any fluid transfer, but just the orgasm itself. It seems to me to be almost like a discharge/transfer of ions, similar to static electricity. There is a buildup of "something" and then a discharge of the "something" once some critical point is reached, like a spark gap is being jumped.

Borek said:
There is plenty of electrical activity in our bodies (think all EEG, ECG types of medical tests, they just measure changes in potential at some points), but the energies/currents/voltages involved are way too low for the EMP in a typical meaning of the term ("strong enough to interfere with other devices").
Maybe EMP was a poor choice of words. Maybe electric or electromagnetic discharge is more appropriate?

ProjectFringe said:
Is there any way which is more scientific to understand "a sudden discharge of accumulated sexual excitement"? Specifically, what is the "accumulated sexual excitement"?
It's an extremely simplified, non-technical way of describing a very complex biological topic. The word 'discharge' here has absolutely no connection to a physical phenomenon like electrical discharge, it's used to describe the change in state between sexual excitement and sexual release.

ProjectFringe said:
Maybe EMP was a poor choice of words. Maybe electric or electromagnetic discharge is more appropriate?
Certainly not. Biological activities are very complex, far more complex than a simple electric discharge.

Likes ProjectFringe
ProjectFringe said:
I'm sure this is a strange question, but I am really curious as to whether the human body can produce electromagnetic pulses. And particularly, whether an orgasm is a type of EMP.

Wikipedia says an orgasm is "a sudden discharge of accumulated sexual excitement". So is this discharge of "energy" an electric or electromagnetic pulse?

I think you’re taking the language of the Wiki entry too literally.

This is about dopamine release in the reward network of the brain. However florid the use of language to describe it, it’s just chemicals (neurotransmitters) and action potentials traveling down axons.

You could think of the nerve signals as traveling surface waves of negative charge, with rapid charge transfer/ion pumping behind, but the amount of electrical energy involved is tiny.

This article: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/brain-waves might be of interest. Note the amplitude of the waves measured is cited in the microvolt range, and of course at anyone time there is an awful lot going on in a brain. Recording this with a single point trace gives only an overview of global activity.

To measure this activity, you need electrodes in firm contact with the skin of the cranium, as in an EEG, and this would look like a waveform. There is no discrete pulse that could be measured remotely, as far as I’m aware. If you did some Googling, you could probably find a characteristic EEG for an orgasm.

Likes ProjectFringe
ProjectFringe said:
I am really curious as to whether the human body can produce electromagnetic pulses.
As has already been explained, the orgasm and other reflexes in the nervous system do use electrical pulses and activity, but they are very small in magnitude and contained within the body. Being able to sense them takes appropriately-placed electrodes (EEG, EKG, EMG, etc.), or very sensitive detectors in shielded rooms.

More along the lines of a small EMP generated by an organism would be the electric eel. I recommend trying to pick one up sometime to find out the level of their EMP capabilities. Who knows, it might even induce an orgasm for you... :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_eel

• Haha
Likes Klystron, Tom.G, phinds and 1 other person
Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

An inappropriate post has been deleted, and the thread will remain closed.

1. Can the human body naturally produce electromagnetic pulses (EMPs)?

No, the human body does not have the ability to produce EMPs on its own. EMPs are typically generated by external sources such as lightning, nuclear explosions, or man-made devices.

2. Is it possible for individuals to develop the ability to produce EMPs through training or practice?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that individuals can develop the ability to produce EMPs through training or practice. The production of EMPs requires specialized equipment and technology, and cannot be achieved through mental or physical training.

3. Are there any health risks associated with EMPs produced by the human body?

No, since the human body does not have the ability to produce EMPs, there are no health risks associated with them. However, exposure to high levels of EMPs from external sources can be harmful to the human body.

4. Can EMPs be used as a form of communication between humans?

No, EMPs are not a reliable form of communication between humans. They are highly unpredictable and can be disrupted by external factors, making them unsuitable for communication purposes.

5. Are there any benefits to the human body if it could produce EMPs?

There are currently no known benefits to the human body if it could produce EMPs. In fact, the production of EMPs can be harmful to electronic devices and infrastructure, which could have negative impacts on society as a whole.