Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can the SM accomodate an anti-Higgs boson?

1. Dec 17, 2016 #1

Jim

I naively imagine that a higgs & an a-higgs can annihilate by photon emission, similar to all SM particles. Is this a-higgs permitted by the SM & does the discovery of the higgs strongly suggest the a-higgs exists ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sorry, but there is no such thing as an anti-Higgs boson. That particular combination of words has no meaning.

4. Dec 17, 2016 #3
    Higgs bosons are their own antiparticle and would annihilate each other.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Properties_of_the_Higgs_boson

5. Dec 17, 2016 #4
    This is an interesting question.
    Let me restate it like this: what is the weak isospin and weak hypercharge of Higgs boson?

If they are zero, then how Higgs field with these charges being zero manages to constantly flip e.g. right-chirality electron into left-chirality electron - eR and eL have _different_ weak isospin and weak hypercharge, right?

If they are nonzero, then Higgs particle can't be its own antiparticle.

6. Dec 17, 2016 #5
    Way above my head, the Wikipedia article sites an NPR interview with Sean Carroll as its source for this info:
    http://www.npr.org/2012/07/06/156380366/at-long-last-the-higgs-particle-maybe

7. Dec 17, 2016 #6

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Even if wikipedia were an accepted source under the Physics Forums rules (and it's not), that wikipedia article doesn't support your claim. Yes, it says that the Higgs boson is its own antiparticle, but it does not say anything about annihilation. The same is true of the NPR interview (which is also not peer-reviewed).

8. Dec 17, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If it would be possble to produce two Higgs bosons on a collision course: Higgs+Higgs -> something else is a possible process, but the Higgs itself decays to "something else" extremely fast, therefore that process has no relevance. Calling it annihilation is a bit of a stretch anyway.

Something else -> two Higgs bosons, on the other hand, is an interesting process searched for at the LHC (the Higgs bosons decay quickly afterwards). In the Standard Model is it extremely rare, and the experiments will need 10+ years to measure it. New physics could make it more frequent.

9. Dec 17, 2016 #8
    I assumed it would not be an interaction we could replicate, more like something going on around the time of inflation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted