Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can the Venus transit be viewed with the naked eye

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    Can the Venus transit be viewed with the naked eye? I do have a solar filter (from the anstronomy department of a university), so this isn't about safety issues. The question is would I need a telescope to oberve the dot or can I just look at it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2
    You should be able to see the dot, and the main issues are eye safety issues rather than astronomical.

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    A dot like a dead pixel or one that can be easily spotted? (the sun looks even smaller than my thumb when observed without a telescope)

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    You can see a dot like structure on the Sun but DON'T see it with naked eye get a eclipse viewing goggles and then try to see it.
    Unluckily it will not be visible in major parts of South-America , about half part in Africa and a small part of Europe.
    Eastern Hemisphere can see it while sun rising and Western Hemisphere can see it while sunset.

6. May 22, 2012 #5

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Download an image of the 2004 transit. Print it out and hang it on the wall in a large room. Then back away from it until the Sun is half the width of your pinky. That should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect when looking through an unmagnified filter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook