Probabilities about length of songs

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a randomly chosen song being longer than 4.5 minutes, the probability of a random selection of 100 songs having an average length of at least 4 minutes, and the probability of a random selection of 200 songs having a total length of at most 700 minutes. The solution involves using the central limit theorem and normal distribution to approximate the probabilities. There is also a brief discussion on the definition of the new random variable Z and a suggestion to use Z=X1+...+X100 instead of introducing the mean.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have a playlist with $2000$ songs. The length of the songs on the playlist are on average $3.5$ minutes (i.e. $3$ minutes and $30$ seconds) with a standard deviation of $1.7$ minutes.

1) Can we find the probability that a randomly chosen song is longer than $4.5$ minutes?

2) Can we findthe probability that a random selection of $100$ songs lasts on average at least $4$ minutes?

3) Can we find the probability that a random selection of $200$ songs lasts in total at most $700$ minutes?

I have done the following:

Let $X_i$ be the RV that describes the length of the $i$-th song.

$\overline{X}_n=\frac{1}{n}(X_1+X_2+\ldots +X_n)$ is the mean.

$\overline{X}_n$ approximates, according the central limit theorem, a normal distribution with parameters $E(\overline{X}_n)=3.5$ and $V(\overline{X}_n)=\frac{\sigma_X^2}{n}=\frac{1.7^2}{n}=\frac{2.89}{n}$. Is this correct?

How could we find the probability at 1) ? (Wondering) At 2) we want to calculate the probability $P(\overline{X}\geq 4)$ with $n=100$ right?

If this is correct, we have that $$P(\overline{X}\geq 4)=1-P(\overline{X}< 4)=1-\Phi \left (\frac{4-3.5}{\frac{1.7}{\sqrt{100}}}\right )\approx 1-\Phi (2.94)=1-0.9984=0.0016$$

Is everything correct? (Wondering) At 3) we define a new RV $Z:=n\cdot \overline{X}_n$ which describes the sum of lengths of $n$ songs.

For $n=200$ we have that $E(Z)=E(200\overline{X}_{200})=200\cdot E(\overline{X}_{200})=200\cdot 3.5=700$ and $V(Z)=V(200\overline{X}_{200})=200^2\cdot V(\overline{X}_{200})=200^2\cdot \frac{2.89}{200}=578$

Then $$P(Z\geq 700)=\Phi \left (\frac{700-700}{\sqrt{578}}\right )=\Phi (0)=0.5$$

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
How could we find the probability at 1) ?

Hey mathmari!

Doesn't one randomly chosen song have distribution $X\sim N(3.5, 1.7)$? (Wondering)
Then we need to find $P(X>4.5)$.

mathmari said:
At 2) we want to calculate the probability $P(\overline{X}\geq 4)$ with $n=100$ right?

If this is correct, we have that $$P(\overline{X}\geq 4)=1-P(\overline{X}< 4)=1-\Phi \left (\frac{4-3.5}{\frac{1.7}{\sqrt{100}}}\right )\approx 1-\Phi (2.94)=1-0.9984=0.0016$$

Looks fine to me. (Nod)

mathmari said:
At 3) we define a new RV $Z:=n\cdot \overline{X}_n$ which describes the sum of lengths of $n$ songs.

For $n=200$ we have that $E(Z)=E(200\overline{X}_{200})=200\cdot E(\overline{X}_{200})=200\cdot 3.5=700$ and $V(Z)=V(200\overline{X}_{200})=200^2\cdot V(\overline{X}_{200})=200^2\cdot \frac{2.89}{200}=578$

Then $$P(Z\geq 700)=\Phi \left (\frac{700-700}{\sqrt{578}}\right )=\Phi (0)=0.5$$

Shouldn't that be $P(Z \le 700)$? (Wondering)
Otherwise it looks fine to me.

Btw, we could also define $Z=X_1+...+X_{100}$, so that $EZ = 100\cdot EX_i$ and $\sigma^2(Z) = 100^2\cdot \sigma^2(X_i)$.
No need to introduce $\overline X$. (Nerd)

1. What is the average length of a song?

The average length of a song varies depending on the genre, but according to a study by The Echo Nest, the average length of a Billboard Hot 100 song in 2013 was 3 minutes and 50 seconds.

2. What is the probability of a song being longer than 5 minutes?

The probability of a song being longer than 5 minutes also varies by genre, but on average, it is around 6%. This means that out of every 100 songs, approximately 6 will be longer than 5 minutes.

3. Are there any factors that influence the length of a song?

Yes, there are several factors that can influence the length of a song. These include the genre, the artist's creative choices, and the intended audience. For example, pop songs tend to be shorter in order to appeal to a wider audience, while electronic or progressive rock songs may be longer due to their experimental nature.

4. Is there a correlation between a song's length and its popularity?

There is no clear correlation between a song's length and its popularity. While shorter songs may be more commercially successful due to their radio-friendliness, there are many longer songs that have also achieved great popularity and success.

5. How do probabilities about song length affect the music industry?

Probabilities about song length can influence the decisions of music producers, artists, and record labels. For example, if the probability of longer songs being successful is low, they may be less likely to produce or promote longer songs. This can also impact the structure and trends within different music genres.